Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Standard

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by rmtrip, Nov 10, 2002.

1. My new/old American Standard has no endpin. I know that Bob (All Hail!) Gollihur has endpins for sale on eBay that fit Kays and Englehardts. Does anyone if these pins will fit an American Standard?

Second question, how big a job would it be to install one of these? Is it something I would be better off leaving to a luthier?

Third question and unrelated. Is there any way to set my preferences on talkbass so the search engine defaults to double bass instead of bass guitar?

2. No (thank goodness!)

Second question, how big a job would it be to install one of these? Is it something I would be better off leaving to a luthier?

If you don't have the special reamers that are required, it is definately a job for a double bass luthier.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Your bass, your body, your ears, and the entire universe will thank you if a good quality endpin is installed. It's a tapered fit, with very little tolerances. Big job? no. Takes little time, but with an expensive hand tool.

4. Thanks for your advice guys. I already talked to Mark Sonksen about working on the bass so it looks like the bass will be making the trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks. Now, all I have to do is convince my wife we can fit the bass, ourselves, and our four kids in the minivan.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

When you're in the search window, you have the option to select the parameters of your search in the lower left-hand side of the window. Scroll down and select either "Double Bass" or whatever specific forum you want before beginning your search. Works like a charm, and you can avoid all of those pesky plank threads.

6. Thanks, Chris. I was looking for a way to get around the scrolling part. I usually forget to do that and then I have to go back and do the search again.