1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Std Jazz pup > Squier Affinity Jazz pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eldoryder, Oct 17, 2013.

1. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Hi all-

Please excuse if this is a tired old question, but the search results under "jazz" are almost unfathomable! I need to know if the pickups provided by the factory on the Fender American Standard Jazz bass are significantly different from those on the Squier Affinity Jazz bass.

Would I hear a noticeable improvement by installing the American Std. Jazz pickups in my Affinity Jazz? I have no intention of going to an active preamp, I'd like to keep it simple and just get a better sound using the passive setup.

TIA for any info.

2. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Anybody? I'm sorry if this seems obvious and pedestrian, but I REALLY want to know if there is an appreciable-enough difference for me to spend $60.00 on a pair of American STD. Jazz pickups to replace the ones that came stock in an Affinity Jazz? Please?

Or at least tell me I'm stupid, and I should invest in a pair of "ABCGFLMNOP" pickups that only cost $210.00 a pair to put on my $179.95 bass.

Oh, SNAP! Forehead palmsmack! That's what you're telling me....a jazz bass of this insignificance is not worth putting ANY better pickups on. Right?

So I've answered my own question. Or have I?

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Grab some and toss 'em there, if you don't like 'em sell on the classifieds. Or get somethiung used and lower your outlay/cost of experimentation.

4. I would certainly say so. The Affinity line is one of the lowest line of Squiers you can get and use generic pickups while Am. Std's use custom shop pickups now, if I recall correctly. I would expect to hear a massive improvement over the two but you can only know for sure if you go into a store and try them out yourself.

5. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    I certainly would hope pickups from a $1000 bass is better than ones from a $150 bass.

6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    It would sound different, but its not worth It. Take a the pickup budget and save for a better bass if that's what you want.

7. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    By my count, that's several for, and only one against. The vote is tallied, the motion passes...I guess I'll pony up for the Am. STD pickups.

Thanks to all who replied!

8. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Let us know what you think of the results.