1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Std. PB ID

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John D, Jul 21, 2012.

1. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Got a line on a P bass advertised as MIA. Picture looks like an American Standard, but the price is more in line with a MIM. Any tips on how to recognize an authenic MIA? Pictures of the bass look very similar to this:
    [​IMG]

2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I could very easily be completely wrong here and I'm only guessing because nobody has responded and I'd like to see the thread actually get some answers.

Any thread that teaches us how to spot BS deals is good in my book.
    Someone is bound to know.

So here's my thought, again it may be completely wrong, but isn't the truss rod adjustment on a MIM at the headstock and on the USA at the heal?

Then there's the serial # if its MIM it'll start with (MZ) I believe.
    Not sure on the USA serial #'s though.

Aside from that, I have no clue. Hopefully others chime in.

3. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I would ask the guy for more pictures, or if you could have a chance to play it first. If you play it and it sounds great? You got an awesome sounding bass for the price of a crappy one, who cares if it's American at that point. But totally ask for pictures and little weird stuff.

4. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Hey 1Shot, thanks for answering. Now that you mentioned it, I think you are right about the tr adjustment. I'm familiar with the SNs but they are easy enough to change. Anyone else?

5. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Agreed. I will play it before I buy it, but it's a couple of hours away. If he comes down on the price just a little and it is as clean as the pictures, I would buy it no matter where it was made.

6. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    All the fakes are "very similar" to the original. why don't you post a pic of the bass in question?

7. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Honestly, I didn't post the advertised pictures, because I have seen to many people post their finds on TB only to have someone see the post and beat the OP to the sale. However, the bass pictured in the for sale ad looks just like the picture I posted above. The pic could be borrowed form another ad. I'm fairly sure I'll know if it's fake when I see it, but since my only experience is with my vintage Jazz and my MIM Jazz, I thought I'd ask the experts.

8. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    If you know what you're looking for, American std fenders are very easy to tell apart. Mainly the string thru body and bridge. Truss rod adjust at the heel and hefty tuners. As far as I know, mex fenders don't have round CNC holes on the body like the AM stds.

9. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Thanks. This is just the information I wanted.

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I was going to say the high mass bridge and the string through option.

11. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Thanks for all the help. I think I've got it from here, but if anyone thinks of anything else, I'll take all help given. I know I sound like a noob, but I've been out of the music business for over twenty years, and I have a lot of catching up to do. :meh: