Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Version of "The Office"???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 5, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    skeptical?

[​IMG]

me, too, but the commercials are just freakie good...

man, here's to hoping.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Skeptical....

Whilst The Office was good when I was all hyped up with the promo here and everyone was saying 'isn't The Office great?'... It was great!

Now i look back, and it was well overrrated, funny but overrated.

3. Roberto

Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
    Anybody know the name of the titlesong from BBC's 'The Office'? Thought it was Peter Weller but I can't find it anywhere. I really like it.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The brilliance of Gervais and the whole pseudo-documentary setup of the UK version was that you could actually believe that someone as awful as his character might exist. He could overplay and underplay simultaneously.

Carrell is funny, but I think he will take it too far into the realm of absurdity.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The song is called 'Handbags and Gladrags'. First recorded by Chris Farlowe, but Rod Stewart's cover is probably better-known. The Stereophonics also had a hit with it in 2001/2.

6. What? They already tried an american Office a few years ago and it was cancelled after a few episodes, IIRC.

7. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    The Americans rarely ever do good remakes of British shows. Most recent case in point would be Coupling, which the Americans made a right pig's dinner out of. The sheer Welsh comedy insanity of Jeff Murdoch cannot be duplicated! :rollno:

So no, I do not have high hopes for a US version of the Office!

Russ :bassist:

8. British comedy = good.
    Americans trying to copy or mimic British comedy = disgusting

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

http://homepage.mac.com/elliottday/theoffice/handbags_gladrags.html

BBC America plays the real 'The Office". I catch it once in a while.

10. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I love the office, i'm really skeptical of the american version though, we do tend to hack British comedy. Gervais is fantastic, I love the training episode. "Go get the guitar." comedic gold.

11. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I think it was good timing that The Office appeared on TV at the same time as a glut of fly-on-the-wall documentary series. There were shows about airport staff, airline staff, traffic wardens, soldiers, bin men, hairdressers and whatever else, and The Office managed to neatly ridicule that style of documentary show. Plus it strikes a chord with anyone who's ever worked in an office - there's always one guy who walks briskly round the place with a file and a determined expression. He's usually skiving.

12. Roberto

Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
    Thank you Blisshead. That's the 1 I was lookin for.
    To me the Office was a chain of awkward moments, very funny.

But just like any Brittish comedy/humour, NOT to be copied.