Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Vintage ‘57 Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emor, Jul 19, 2005.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I was looking at one of these today (new) and was wondering about the pickup. The pole pieces for the E, D and G strings were at or near flush with the PU cover, but the ones for the A string were significantly higher--so much so that that side of the pickup had to be lowered proportionately to achieve the same pole piece to string spacing as the others. The tech removed the pickup for examination and said that the pole pieces were flush with the back, so they were just longer than the others. It sounded fine--just looked funny. Manufacturing defect, or what?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Don't know for a fact but to my knowledge no pickup's ever been intentionally manufactured with raised poles on only one string. I would have expected the E string to be weak under those conditions.

Regardless, bottom-line is the tone they put out.

3. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    The 57RI pups do indeed come with raised A poles which mimic the originals. Supposedly they were made that way to compensate for a weak A on rounder radiused fretboards of the time. FWIW, the sweetest Precision I've played was one of those 57RI. Nice bass.

4. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
  5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

interesting and actually sounds like something Leo would do. He probably test ran the pups and found the A consistently lacking after-the-fact for whatever reason and simply increased the pole length until he got one that evened out. He has a whole list of creations that are merely the easy out for inherent design flaws in the prototypes.