1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Vintage 1962 P Bass Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.Phil, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    What can you guys tell me about the reissue 62 pbass? I would like to know a couple things:
    Are the holes for the pickup covers predrilled?
    Is it easy to adjust the truss rod? (I think they have something different than the allen key set up)
    What kind of pickups are used?
    Your thoughts on the instrument. Thanks!

2. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    The pickup covers are predrilled through the pickguard, not the body.
    The neck on mine has not BUDGED, never touched the trussrod. MY 62 AVRI Jazz however, won't stop moving.
    The pickups are the Rissue pups. Sounds pretty much like a P Bass to me.
    I like mine, I've had three P's before. I think this one sounds better than the other two. (An American standard, and a CIJ.)
    It was worth the extra money to me.

3. Popmann

Popmann

Sep 8, 2004
    Twangville
    Truss rod is adjust (like all old fenders) via a screw in the heel of the neck---no, it's a huge PIA to adjust.

Sounds better than any other P or P copy I've played. It's string spacing is too wide for a 4 string...it's neck is fragile to different tension strings...see afforementioned truss rod thing...it's a PIA--and well worth it due to the sound. ;-)

4. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    thanks guys... i'm really on the fence... some one push me over :D

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    OK. If your worried about the PITA truss rod adjustment, just Dremel a groove in front of the truss rod screw. Take the pickguard off first so the groove doesn't show. Or not.

As a word of caution, I would strongly suggest that you make sure the neck is straight before you buy. The RI necks don't have graphite rods in them.

6. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Good ideas... Any other thoughts?

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I played one back to back with a New American Standard P. They were both great, and I am glad I was not in the position to buy either, cause I wanted both!

8. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    oh man, I'm really leaning towards buying one... I shouldn't have started a thread, I knew it would push me over...:bag: Anyone else have experience with it?

9. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Well... I don't know much about the 62 RI ('cept I did play one at GC one time and the string spacing felt very wide at the nut). Wanted to chime in just to say that if all your after is that sound, the Dirnt P-bass has a '59 reissue pickup in it, and I can say that the build quality and hardware on mine is very good. It's the best sounding P I've ever played, and half the cost of the reissue.

10. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I have the 57 RI that I love .
    These RI's just have that right feel to them.
    I can't put my finger on it but there is a difference.

11. Need a push over the fence? Well here goes. I have an American Vintage 62 re-issue Jazz and it has become my favourite bass. Absolutely love it. (And I own a Sadowsky.) That's it in my avatar. If you like the P-bass tone and neck width, the 62 re-issue is a real winner. There's one on the shelf at Long & McQuade here in Vancouver -- tinted neck and everything...

12. zeppelinus

zeppelinus

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    '62 RI P-Bass is my first P-Bass which I bought two weeks ago. I totally love this bass. Adjusting trussrod is bugging me a bit but once I set it up I haven't had to deal with it so far. The string spacing is pretty wide comparing to other 4 strings but once you get used to it, it's no biggie. I put TI Flat string, it sounds AWESOME!!!

13. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England

IMG_0166.
    IMG_0171.

*THUD* (as Mr. Phil hits the ground on the other side of the fence ;))

:D

14. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Whoah!

That pushed me over the fence, and I wasn't even on the fence! :D

Sweet looking bass!

15. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :meh: I know. I sold it a few months ago (doh!! :rollno:) and now I realise that I can't do without a "60s vintage" P Bass :scowl:.

If I can't get my hands on a Custom Shop Pino Palladino model (used), then I'll be looking to buy another one of these, myself :smug:.

16. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    I owned one for a while. I had to sell it for financial reasons. I have owned too many P's in the last 6 years. Some early and late 70's Precisions, a couple of early 80's, newer MIA's, MIM's, etc. The '62 reissue was the best of them all, no question. Of all the basses I have bought and sold, I wish I had that one back. If you can afford it, get it.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have a '97 62RI and it sounds amazing.

It sounds so good that I didn't even return it when it arrived looking like it was hit by a truck and dragged for a few miles. Seriously, the eBayer I bought it sad it had "a few dings" and it is munched. I will post pictures later.

Sounds as good or better than my '74P and looks and feels like a vintage instrument.

Plus the case is kinda cool!

Buy one, you deserve it!

18. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    What is that fretboard wood??? It's very dark, if rosewood!!

19. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I have an AV62 P just like that one. The fretboard is rosewood, and it is very dark -- so is the fretboard on my AV62 J. Wonderful basses!

20. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    It looks like everything you'd want a P bass to be!! Beautiful! :)