1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass - New AVRI Series

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    74AVRIJazz1_zpsa30a3ae5.

SOLD!

Fender American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass
    Olympic White w/ 4-Bolt Maple & Pearl Block Neck

Cool opportunity here..
    Only about 3 months old. Still in like new condition, except for 3 small dings.. 1 by the upper corner of the chrome bridge cover, 1 above the bridge, and 1 on the bottom/back. See the photos HERE of the areas I mentioned. Everything else (including the case) is still in like new/mint condition. All stock, no mods or issues.

The playability and fretwork is superb. Nice, chunky neck profile and the back of the neck is very smooth and clean. Just had a pro set-up with very low action, and it's strung with the Fender flatwounds that it came with. Sounds fantastic.

The original hard shell reissue case (with the keys) is included, with all the case candy shown in the pic.

Bass is a nice weight of 9.25 lbs (with the covers on) according to my postal scale.

[DEL]$1595[/DEL]
    $1495 Shipped (CONUS). Not looking for any trades at this time.
    Paypal or Money Order Accepted.
    I also take deposits (to hold the bass for you). PM me for details.
    Shipping will be insured for the purchase price and will include a tracking #.
    *I will ship international (depending on the country and their regulations) for an additional charge and some conditions may apply. Please PM me for details.

2. Curious about those pickups.
    Can you compare them to the '75 reissue pickups?

3. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I know Fender redesigned the pickups on all of the new AVRI series, so it will sound different from the '75 AVRI. I don't have a '75 Jazz to compare it to, but I can tell you this '74 is ballsy for a passive bass. The neck p/u can get very deep and the bridge p/u has some strong mids and highs. It sounds and feels very close to my Vintage 1974 Jazz.

4. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    the necks are chunkier on the 74. they both have 7.25 but different necks the 75 is a C and the 74 is a U. pickups are close to the same they are both kinda hot deep with nice mids and highs. I think the main difference is the neck. and the white pearl inlays. I love the 75 too...and have total GAS for this one! If one of my basses sells I am all over this!

5. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems
    I tried 2 of these recently and was very impressed. They got it so close that I considered selling one of my own 70s Jazzes as both the ones I tried played much better than the vintage.

GLWTS :)

6. I wonder if you'll regret selling it.
    That bass looks happy right where it is.:cool:

7. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Where in SoCal are you?

8. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I live in Lake Arrowhead, and I'm in Rancho Cucamonga a few days a week.

9. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Would be nice excuse to get a cabin up there :)

"Be right back honey, gonna pick up a bass. Enjoy the pool!"

10. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Lemme know when you make the reservations! ;)

11. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    There's one of these at the music store next to my workplace. I really dig it!!

The chunky neck profile really speaks to me...I'm a Lakland JUNKIE and there's nothing but amazing thin necks on those basses...so finding a bass like this with a chunkier profile is really refreshing. It's super comfy. The one I tried also had superb playability and a great 70s sound.

Funny thing, the one I saw also has a few chips in the paint, came that way out of the box. This one has 2 dings at the top corner of the bridge cover, exactly where one of yours is.

12. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! The bass is still available, morning bump!

13. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Banned

Jan 22, 2011
    Mass
    Bump!....chunky neck pics?

14. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Chunky neck pics..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Great price! Awesome bass.

16. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    ^^Thanks! And a bump for Saturday morning!

17. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Is this an alder or ash body?

18. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    It's alder. I had to look for myself because I wasn't sure, but on Fender's site it says that only the natural finish '74s are ash bodies.

19. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    If my $2000 NOS 65 corvette distributor sells on ebay this weekend or a bass I am on this! Everything of value I own is for sale! lol

Do they all come with the ashtrays and thumbrests on them? I havent seen a bridge on one yet in the zillion pictures I have seen....the 75 you have to install them yourself.

20. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    The bridge is the same as the '75 bridge (with the non-threaded saddles and flathead height adjustment screws), except the '74 has the "long G" intonation screw.

Good luck with your sale! BTW, I also take deposits. PM me if you're interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.