1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Vintage Jazz 75 Pick Up Set - Good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sugar McGuinn, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Sugar McGuinn

Sugar McGuinn

Feb 10, 2010
    Seattle
    Hi Fellow TB'ers,

I bought one of these basses from AMS (Online), and the neck pickup lead was pinched at the pick up case... I've well waited out any chance of returning it for repair, and I really like the bass... My question...

Are these decent pick ups?

I was going to just swap them out for Nordy 70s wind, but thought I should at least see what opinions folks on the forum have and what the comparison might be...

Thanks

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    "pinched at the pickup case"?

got pictures? chances are it can just be fixed.

anyway i'm sure they're good pickups; heck i wonder if they're really any different from the regular vintage "original" Jazz pickups.

3. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    I have an AV '75. Compared to my '08 Am Std Jazz, I find the pickups to be slightly lacking. They don't sound bad, but don't seem to have nearly the same output, or aggressive tone.

The '75's have raised pole pieces. The Am Std don't. Perhaps getting a flat pole pickup closer to the strings contributes to a more full sound?

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Yes they are good pickups and yes they can be fixed. You (or someone else) can simply resolder a new wire to the base of the pickup body. I would try to fix before swapping them out.

Sounds like something might be up with your bass or electronics my friend. The two 75's I've played were both growly beasts. Much more so than any stock standard jazz I've played.

5. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    The '75 growls.. the '08 growls a bit more. Could also be the difference in pickup placement between the two. I've owned a few dozen Jazz's over the last 30 years, and with the '08, I think I got a really good one.

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Thats the painful thing about jazz basses.