1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Vintage vs. Japan Precision 62 reissue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M55ikael, Oct 16, 2009.

1. M55ikael

M55ikael

Oct 16, 2009
    Hi! I've decided to buy a 62 reissue Precision bass. What is the difference between these two models, and would you say the American Vintage is worth the extra cash?
    (current model)

My main concern, of course, is the difference in sound. But it seems they have the same pickups. The seller says the MIJ P Bass has AM Vintage P Bass pickups (implying they are the same, no?)

Thanks guys!

2. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    MIJ can be up to 4 body pieces, US is usually 2
    MIJ has cheap nasty electronics, US has CTS
    MIJ has poly finish, US has nitro top
    MIJ has cheap gig bag, US has hardcase
    MIJ has generic pickups, US has 'US vintage'

not even close..

but.. there is a MIJ DMC series that has all of the above appointments (inc. nitro finish), but they cost near a US Vintage.

PhillipHolbrook likes this.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've never played the American Vintage, so I can't help you. But I own two early '90s MIJ '62 reissue P basses so I am going along for the ride ;)

4. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Actually.. I was assuming its a new and current Japanese P.. if its an older one.. dunno.

Oh and the newer ones come in about 5 different price points too, the cheaper ones have basswood bodies and really crap pickups.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    FWIW, my photoflame MIJ has a two piece body.

Stupidly thick poly coating. The clear coating has some serious cracks from the cold :(

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Also, IME, the MIJ models tend to have a thicker finish on their necks. I know some people who prefer that, though.

7. I've played an American Vintage '62. LOVED it. If I had an extra $1,500 sitting around, I would've snatched it right up. Just felt so right, looked better than any bass I've ever seen, and sounded thunderous. However, I would much rather have the '57 AVRI because of the White Blond Ash/Maple color scheme. Where's the drool sign when needed??

Long story short, get the AVRI. You WON'T regret it. And if you do, CALL ME! Haha. Best of luck!

8. I have played both and prefer the American. The aboove poster is correct there are many different price points and the lower end ones's had cheap electronics and basswood bodies. There is a higher end that has the US electronics and an alder body. These are close to the US versions but had poly finishes and usually slightly cheaper hardware. The top of the line nitro version is expensive and I would highly doubt many are bought and shipped into the US.

9. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I have a left handed 1997 Japanese Fender sunburst jazz Bass. I upgraded the hardware on this bass, because I'm a bass repair tech, and can get the parts at dealer cost..so I didn't really mind this. Point one, the American made bass has period correct tuners and bridge. The Japanese basses do not. Point two, my bass has a basswood body, the Americans have alder. The pickups appear to be of better quality better on the American series. My bass has the supposedly crappy small pots, but they do what they are supposed to do, and work fine. All this adds up to a better bass out of the box being the American '62 re-issue.
    That said, I LOVE my Japanese bass...the stunning sunburst finish is every bit as good or better on my bass...I compared it right next to my friends identical American '62 sunburst bass. The basswood body makes for a very resonant, yet lightweight bass compared to the American one. The sound? My bass sounds killer, just as good to my very critical ear as the American. I was going to upgrade the pickups, but there isn't any reason to, I listen to it through my recording setup, and it sounds better than recordings of my old '71 Jazz bass. It plays better than my friend's, and I set both of these basses up. The prices of the Japanese basses is considerably less in the used market than the American basses.
    Conclusion: you might be able to actually buy two of the Japanese basses for what you might have to pay for a recent American re-issue. I got my '62 on E-bay for $410.00 with a hardshell case in 1999 or so. It was near mint. Best bargain I ever got in a bass.

10. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    While majority of Americans would prefer US made Fender for obvious reasons, ( I would love to have US Fender but can't afford to buy) there are ALWAYS two versions of Japanese Fender when it comes to re-issue models. Those with "US" on the model number indicates that pickups are US vintage and body would either be ash (mostly '70 RI P and '75 J) or alder and priced much higher. Basswood and sometimes alder are standard for those without "US" on the model number and priced cheaper. These are more of budget line. I have seen MIA here and some were solidly built and just astonishing while some looked like the luthier was drunk when he assembled the bass.

11. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Currently 5 levels of '62' reissue! Vintage, vintage premium, J-Craft, vintage deluxe and vintage special..

They range from 70,000yen to 130,000yen.. And that's just the 62's! There's also the aerodynes, 57's and 70's

it's a real mine field for the uninformed, especially on eBay where you may never know exactly what model you are looking at.. Especially when they look identical!

That's not taking into account the mass of store specials that never make it into the catalogues!

12. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I have a CIJ 62 P Bass. I like it for the fact that it's a decent P Bass for the price, but it has major neck dive issues. I basically have to keep my forearm on the body at all times otherwise it's not playable, the headstock just drops down.

13. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Most of the Fender basses I've seen do that to some degree, and the type and build quality are not really a factor.
    Here's a little surprise for my right handed bass playing friends: turn your Fender bass upside down, yes, like you were going to play it lefty like Jimi Hendrix. Notice something unusual? Fender basses balance PERFECTLY upside-down!

14. M55ikael

M55ikael

Oct 16, 2009
    I took your advice and shelled out the big bucks for a AM Vintage 62 RI in Olympic white!
    $1300, brand spanking new! I'm a happy camper.

15. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Bravo! Enjoy it.

16. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I own 3(2 USA and 1 MIJ) and the 91 MIJ kicks one to the curb and holds it own all day with the other.

17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I just picked up a 93 straight from Japan. It is Killer. 2 piece body and plays like a dream. I love my RIC and it gets all my attention but this '62 RI is like coming home. It just feels so right in my hands and it's so easy to get a groove going. Zero neck dive. Slightly lower output volume compared to my Bullet Bass(W/P-Bass Pickups).

18. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    OP you made the right choice, in my opinion. Rock on!

19. I have a MIJ 1962 RI P bass, one of the early JV instruments from 1983. Changed the electronics and pickups and now its a killer bass on par with MIA instruments! Excellent in all regards!

20. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I'll revive this for a single question:

Is there a version of MIJ(CIJ) '62 Reissue Precision. the neck of which is similar or very close to AVRI '62 P?
    (nut width 1 3/4", thin front to back, period-correct headstock shape: that's my point).