Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American vs American Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Psyrcle, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I was planning on getting a fender precision and I don't understand the difference between American and American Deluxe. Can somone help out?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Deluxe has a second humbucking pickup at the bridge, a preamp with 3-band EQ and a neck with 22 frets rather than 20. The bridge can be strung through the body or not (American is through body only).

The other difference is a pile of Benjamins :p

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    What has alredy been said plus...

Typically (but not always) better build quality (fit and finish) as well...

As always, (if you can) make sure you play it before you buy it. Some Fenders are wonderful, and some are crap, at any level...

Don

4. I don't know if it has changed but my regular MIA P can be strung either through the body or the bridge(i'm certian it's the original bridge). I know that the new highway 1 series is only through the bridge.

GO RED SOX!!!

5. Generally, active electronics and the added humbucker. I do think they pay more attention to detail on the American Deluxes. They really are good basses, but some just prefer the passive, traditional P sound that the Americans give you. I know that if you want versatility in a P bass, the Deluxe is a great option, because you can't get much variety out of a passive P bass. That said, the passive P bass might nail the tone you're looking for, or you might not need to change your tone settings during a song or have other basses to make up for it.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My take:

The American Standard P bass is a solid, good sounding P bass. I play a '95 A.S. regularly, though I prefer a '78 that I used to have access to. The current A.S. Ps have a lot of bottom end and good grunt/bark.

The Deluxe P is something else entirely, the sound is much smoother and more modern even if you only use the front pickup. I like the P deluxe a lot, and came very close to buying one with translucent red body and a maple fingerboard. Very very nice bass.

Just depends on what you are looking for.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Second that, the bridge on my 2001 American Series has thru-body AND top-load, same goes for the American Series Jazz bass.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Doesn't the Deluxe have a down-sized body?

9. Yeah, it does to compensate for the 22 fret board. If it was full sized, the cut would have to be deeper to allow you to get to the 2 added frets, and it would look a little disproportional. The downsized body looks quite good though. Some pics make it look weird, but in person it's very nice.