Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

american vs. highway 1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TonyGray, Jul 4, 2004.

1. TonyGray

TonyGray

Jul 4, 2004
    Anyone know the difference in the American Standard and the Highway 1 basses, besides the price? The Fender site doesn't have much.

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    personally i rate HWY 1 fenders below MIM's. every single one i have played (about 10) was just horrible, as opposed to a couple of decent MIM's. if you really want a great bargain in a fender style bass, check out the G&L tribute sb-2. spectacular bass for the money, i bought one, restrung it and i think it blows the majority of fender's instruments(MIM, HWY 1 or MIA) out of the water, playability and soundwise. i get lots of compliments on how it looks and sounds. it has been discontinued, but bassnw.com has a couple left. at $400, i don't think you can beat it.

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    hiway 1 basses are american made parts assembled in mexico with a "satin" finish. there are much better instruments to be had for the money(G&L Tribute), IMO.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The difference besides the price is the finish, MIA standard (series) basses come in gloss finishes the H1 bass comes in a matte finish. The MIA is string thru the body, has no skunk stripe in the back of neck, has better pups, a side to side adjustable bridge, inclosed gear tuners(H1 has open gear) and are same as the MIM basses. Graphite re-inforcement, the H1 does'nt, comes with a case, the H1 does'nt, straplock ready, the H1 is not

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You got it backwards
    Highway 1 basses are made with basically the same parts as the MIM basses but are assembled in America. I read somewhere it has something to do with painting the basses in Mexico allows for the cheaper prices along with the cheaper parts that keep cost down. The H1 bass gets by being made here due to the so called worn look finish.
    maybe someone here can clarify this for us.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Threads merged. sandman_smoker, please don't double-post.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I played a Highway Jazz bass, best thing I have ever played.