Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Americans and Big Cars...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Jan 20, 2006.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I told Digme, Thor, Secretdonkey and Vorago about my wife and I buying a couple of vehicles over the weekend....The Qintar, Hoar and the Donk were happy for me, as was Vorago, but Vorago brought up a good point.... Why do Americans like such big vehicles (I guess compared to the Europeans)?

I have been called a beaner throughout my life, but I just couldn't exist driving a Mr. Bean car... they're too damn small!

I love big vehicles, but why?

:D

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Bigger = Better....right?

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

So it fits your behind? I dunno ...

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

I think it's time for the regular European vs American transportation thread :D

Anyway, what I said was that I don't think the size of a car has anything to do with the amount of miles it can take. But, I can me wrong. What bothers me more is that this trend to have huge cars is setting foot in Europe, even in Belgium! A country the size of Connecticut with the densest roadnetwork in the world! Giant cars everywhere!

:scowl:

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's ###### up. :spit:

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    [​IMG]
    Here you go...perfect for small european roads and high gas prices.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I wasn't dogging you, I thought it was a good point..... Even the SUV I bought isn't that big, but I would love to afford a huge SUV (along with the gas), but I can't...

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow! What is that? A V10? :D

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Because 454's dont fit into small cars.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

12. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think it's mostly because people in the US have been able to afford it because of the low gas and vehicle prices, and also it's become a personal symbol of independence and status earlier than in Europe.

You can see the trend in Europe, too - now that most people can afford a car, bigger cars are becoming increasingly a symbol of your wealth. Large costs keep the car sizes in control around here, though. Interesting thing is, some European car manufacturers - Renault I think - are opening new plants in Eastern Europe to produce very inexpensive basic cars for the eastern market.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow! That interior is almost as big as my first apartment! :D

15. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Why? I haven't been to America yet, but I figure that Americans drive very long distances, since America is a big place; and so big cars make sense, sort of. The roads are big and wide, as well, from what I hear.

Where I live (south west coast of Norway) big cars aren't an option, really. Roads aren't wide enough, and gas is too darn expensive. And a big-engine car would be insanely expensive, as well (we've got a funny tax system for cars, alas). But, if it weren't for that, a big car would be nice. It can fit more people and more gear. :)

16. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Its an interesting point...I drive a Ford Explorer. I'd say that falls in the big vehicle category. My reasoning isn't for status though. I got it because I needed to fit all my gear in it. Plus we get a fair share of bad weather here in the winter, and its great in the snow. And it was a good deal used.

I've actually been seriously considering downsizing. I drive around 250mi /week...and at roughly 14mi/gallon I'm spending a fortune on gas. However, I enjoy driving it because it feels like a truck, I also feel safer in it. People drive like loonies around here.

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It beats me... I'm all about the leetle cars - though I'm thinking of getting rid of the little red sports car (S2000) in favor of a Honda Element. It's probably about the smallest vehicle that would carry my massive bass rig o' doom. I don't think of myself as a frugal guy but I'd have to think twice about popping over to H-town on a Saturday if I were having to gas up a Suburban.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Smaller cars => smaller rigs

Yep, you guys could save some serious money :D

19. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    ^What he said^

Plus I need it for my behind....:p

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    It was either an Xterra or Element for me, but by the time I got back to the dealer, the Element was gone.... I think the Element has way more cargo room (and better gas milage), but the Xterra helps me look more like a pimp.