Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Americans: Best way to ship a bass to Europe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I was looking for advice on which carrier to use to ship a bass to the UK from the US

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have never done it but would suggest USPS Global Express, which is traceable. I just received a bass from Indiana to Montreal, Canada. Whole thing took only three days and the price was very good.

3. i should say that Usps is traceable only inside the USA after the pack left the Usa nothing more...i'm from Italy and i've got several basses with Usps and seems quite good...for sure other private service as Ups Fedex or DHL are really faster but the price is more than double!!

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Buy American bass here. Book flight on British Airways (best food and movies) and hotel for a couple of days. Put bass in case and check it with your luggage. Sell bass when you get there. Use the extra money you made cuz of the jackup in prices of the import to pay for the hotel and airfare. Enjoy your short vacation in Europe. Come home happy. :)

That almost sounds illegal - is it?

5. I used UPS when I sent a bass to Australia...

I wanted to ba able to track it, and of course insure the thing. No problems...

One thing that was suggested by someone on another web site, is to take the neck off when you ship (if a hard shell case is not included) to save on shipping charges. They measure the box as well as the weight. Make sure you enter the #s in correctly or you will be in for a shock!

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yup, sorry Joe.

7. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I shipped a bass to Italy using Fedex and it went very well -- incredibly quick (3-4 days) and traceable all the way. I would always recommend that a European buyer use part of the HUGE differential between the price of a used bass here and the same used bass from European retailer to pay for quick, reliable, and traceable shipping.

8. I'll go with Fedex or UPS :hyper:, snail mail (US Postal Service) isn't good enough.... whenever I order something they always send me tracking numbers but they never work.

9. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Ive shipped a few to Europe via USPS, it was alot cheaper than other methods but too AGES. All got there fine, just depends on your priorities, money or time?

10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Never use UPS to ship gear to the UK. UPS should be renamed Dick Turpin. USPS is by far the best option, and the best deal in terms of cost for Uk'ers

11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    USPS all the way. I've shipped 3 basses to the UK and Europe. All arrived in perfect condition, and it was really affordable.