1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

americans ( USA ) Are you losing confidence

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    americans ( USA )

Are you losing confidence in the safety and quality of imported food?

Do you feel as this might be a way a radical group could hurt us?

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Not really. People in China who do stuff like use inferior quality when they say they are using good stuff tend to get executed.

3. We have the most fertile farm lands in the world and yet we import food, I am a little puzzled with that.

4. I'm really trying to think of what imported food I might eat. We have year round fresh veggies here. We usually get Florida beef and pork as well. Unless they sneak somthing in my breakfast cereal or snack food, I think I'm safe. My fear is some dumbasses will nuke disney world when the wind is blowing from the north :mad:

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I always try to buy locally grown foods when I can, and never buy stuff that's not Chinese food from China.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah, it does take a while to get here.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    erm... no...

don't most imported foods have to pass FDA inspection?

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I dont know about where you are but in Chicagoland (all the way to Iowa, Wisconson, Indiana, they are stripping all that fertile soil off & selling it, then building huge townhome developments. Farms are dissappearing quickly here as the land becomes too expensive/taxes.

I would like to do that too, but winter sucks. Also a lot of store food has Chinese processed products in it that you would never know unless you read that very tiny print on the label. I heard that the same poison in the dog food is in most of our food, all from China.

Now the lead paint problem.

It's all part of the WalMart difference mentality.

9. ...one can only hope they wait until the wind is from the southwest instead.

;)

(A joke, folks. :D My ex lives in Orlando, which is a bit north-northeast of the rat cage, as did I for many years, and I for one would not miss Did-knee-whirle'd one whit...although the loss of life would be heinous...)

10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Not really. I try to limit the way fear runs my life.

-Mike

12. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I don't think a radical group is going to go after us with our food.

That being said, I don't have a lot of confidence in our food supply's quality.

We rely too heavily on imported food, and too much of it is in our processed food. We might buy local peaches and beef, but when we buy cereal or mac-n-cheese, there are things in them from all over the place.

We also need to stop giving billions in subsidies to large agri-businesses. These places are not really arms, and they're not hurting for money, either. We need to stop allowing high-fructose corn syrup and other garbage in every-gorram-thing we consume. We need to quit doing a lot of stupid things, as a country. Those are just a few.

Cherie

13. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    For those afraid of imported food....you don't have to buy it. Support your local farming community and buy from them. Sure it may cost more, but you'll get the peace of mind you're after.

-Mike

14. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Thing is, it is harder to avoid imported food (and additives of all sorts) than you'd think. It is easy to buy local produce, meats, dairy, etc. Its the processed food you have to watch. You have to really read the small print on the ingredients.

That being said, I don't stand there in the store and read it all. I buy cheap stuff. I have to. I buy quality when I *can*, but I can't always buy top-of-the-line. So...we try to limit processed foods whenever possible. Not just because of imports, though. Mostly because processed foods are full of stuff that isn't very good for people.

Cherie

15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA

I agree. It is not easy, which is part of my frustration as our family continues our migration to healthy foods. My wife has pretty much given up all processed foods. I am about halfway there. Our son? Well, he's 18 so at this point in his life what he eats doesn't really concern him. :D

Now I'm not saying we pick our veggies and grains every morning off a farm either. It is a struggle. We bought into a few co-ops earlier this year, and that is for sure helping. The area I live is really big on organic foods and eco-friendly farming, so it isn't hard to shop in places that sell healthy non-processed foods.

-Mike

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'd worry more about Big Mac attacks and less about terrorist attacks. Something like 50 percent of the population is overweight and a large percentage of the overweight population is considered obese.

The poisoning is well underway.

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Our rule of thumb at home is, if its got more than three ingredients, don't buy it.

18. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think the actual figure is about one third of the US population (including kids)... but it's still disgusting.

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I really need to get to the gym... wait, what if Al-Quaeda have infiltrated my shorts? :O:O

20. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    LMAO. Yes. We are all out to get you. :rolleyes: