1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Americans VS's British.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dmanlamius, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Dmanlamius

Dmanlamius

Feb 24, 2008
    Folkestone
    Hiya all!

Ok, I'm from England...

My biggest musical influences have always been American. I dont know why it is, but Americans seem to be much more accepting to my music. My first band (Hot buttered muffin) was a mix of funk and grunge (Funge) and although we went down really well over here (were on BBC radio one, amongst other things) we never seemed to get the same response as we did In America, via the internet...

We had a huge following over there, but never got the chance to visit, and play, because of financial reasons. That breaks my heart, it really does.

My newer bands, and bass only videos on youtube are the same. The Americans love them, but the Brits (although partly interested) are a bit apathetic.

Can anyone put their finger on why this is? (it isnt the weather, tea, the Queen, or chips, lol!) I guess it's because my American influences have rubbed off on me?

Here's my myspace: www.myspace.com/mrlamius

And heres my home site with bass vids etc on:

www.Dmanlamius.com

Anyway, i'd love to know your guys opinions. It's something i've been wondering about for years...

Take care!

Kris:)

2. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    The grass is always greener on the other side of the pond???

3. Dmanlamius

Dmanlamius

Feb 24, 2008
    Folkestone
    I dunno.

Its kinda green here too, lol. Loads of trees as well...

Hang on.

Whats this got to do with music!?

:p:D

4. Keep in mind also that there's a much larger population of people in the States than in England.

5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I dunno, I always found that most of my favorite artists were Brits from the 70's, but that may be because I really dig 70's glam and the majority of that was English bands...

6. Dmanlamius

Dmanlamius

Feb 24, 2008
    Folkestone
    Yea, it seems to flip back and forth, doesnt it?

In the 60's and 70's a lot of English music did well in the states. Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Sabbath, The Beatles, Elton John, The who, AND the whole punk movement, etc, etc.

In the eighties, it all got mixed up.

But in the nineties, America dominated, definatly. Me and my friends loved it. We still had some great bands over here, but it was nothing to what was going on over the pond.

I'm still heavily inspired by the music from the nineties. I could list a whole bunch of bands, but I wouldnt want to bore you.

:)

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Most of my favourite bands are British, but the live music scene in the USA is much healthier than it is over here - big crowds turn up for unsigned bands with good reputations. When I came back from the states I pretty much stopped playing for five years because I was feeling very "what's the point?".

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't the Brits have that "stiff upper lip" thing going on?

9. Oh God no!!!! We're all politically correct wimps now.

:D