Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AmerStand#787 - to fix or go shopping

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by smokinbass, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Any advise appreciated;
    My AS#787 has a butchered neck and a few other problems. My luthier quoted me $2000 to replace the neck, etc.
    It could have been a contenter in the ASS contest. Should I spend $2k or just pull off the board and run a big bolt thru it ?
    -Mike Santosusso :help:

2. Seriously folks, I need another opinion. According to what I've read here the AS is well regarded for sound. Even in the condition mine is in i think it sounds good. However I'm having a tough time justifying spending 2k on a $300 bass w/ a badly cracked neck. Besides the fact it doesn't look so good, not that I care. Am I being a fool for even considering this "investment"?
    -Mike

3. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    It's your call. I had #320 with probably similar problems. It needed a new neck. Sounded great. I sold it. IMO, plywood is plywood - some is just older than others.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

You are only a fool if you expect it to be an investment. (which obviously you don't) If you want to spend the $$ simply because you like it and want to play it, that's good enough for me.

A couple of thoughts are:

Do you have another bass?
    Do you play out?

I am sure that the neck can be well-repaired. The real issue is whether the not the bass can handle what you expect of it. If you play out a great deal, I think you can only expect more the same if it takes the regular abuse of being toted here and there all the time.

You can keep getting it fixed, but I am reminded of the 200-year-old ax that's been through five handles and only two blades.

If it stays at home, it may last forever just fine.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    On the other hand, mine had a broken neck when I got it, was repaired, and has been fine despite being toted around quite a bit in a civic hatchback. Other than that, I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

SMOKIN'INTHEBASSROOM,

As you may have read in the "Setup" forum, I'm dealing with a similar issue with #158. I keep my "ASS" (winner of the infamous UGLY contest, thank you very much) at my office at school as a backup to my carved bass, and for use in teaching jazz combos (our university is short on bass recruits, so I play in the combo that I teach). I keep thinking of selling it, and keep hedging because it sounds so good. I'm leaning toward replacing the fingerboard and adding a shim to the neck and just keeping it. I think I'll probably take it to Cincy the next time I'm up there and play it side by side with one or two of the newer basses that are in the price range of the repair plus what I could get for it, and let my ears and heart decide.

6. Chris- did you have your neck repaired or replaced ? When you say shim you mean a wedge between the fingerboiard and the neck? I think my neck needs replacement along with the block probably. Thru the f holes you can see two big lag bolts going into the block which seem to correspond to the two big cracks in the nech heel.

7. I'm going blind and loosing my ability to hunt and peck but finding this site is oine of the coolest things to happen to me lately. I've logged alot of hours and am almost convinced to spend the big $ on fixing up old # 787. Would love to compete in ASS # 2 befor the repairs but w/o green bondo I guess I forfit. Thanks everyone, I'll keep you "posted".
    -mike

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mine was repaired. I'm not sure about the exact nature of the repair, but there's a "button" on the back of the neck heel now, which tells me that some sort of bolt was probably used.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    who made these basses ? please pardon my ignorance. i keep hearing about them but i've never seen or played one.