Amgeg B100R/GK150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have an Ampeg B100R that has served me well, if I need more volume, I just run it through the PA. I've gotten older so am looking for something slightly lighter, especially at 1:00 am.

I've read about the GK150 but have never seen one. Would this amp serve me as well as the Amgeg has? I play in a classic/rockabilly band wtih two guitars and a drummer.
  2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    As far as whether the amp would serve you, you have to determine that, as far as the volume, headroom, & tone that you need/want.
    I can add that I own both Ampeg (not the B100 though) and G-K (the MB-150s).
    The MB is a fantastic unit, more so with another cab added- I use a 1x12 w/ a 5" driver- this adds a lot more volume & headroom- 150 RMS @ 4 ohms.
    The amp has a straight-up G-K sound- very modern, punchy, & tight. Both versions have great
    EQ available with parametric mids & boost on the "E" version, & contours on both. With my active Sterling, this unit amazes me.
    I know that the B100 is a great amp- it has solid
    Ampeg deep sounds in solid state unit.
    I guess they weigh about 60lbs opposed to the 25-lb G-K. I haven't played them so I don't know their level, or whether it's adequate for your band's engagements.
    I use the G-K certainly at rehearsals, & w/the ext. cab in smaller rooms. Also, it has a DI, so if you needed to, you can run it through a PA.
    If your concern is volume, the G-K should cut it as well or better than the Ampeg, but it is voiced differently-like a G-K!
    Good Luck, have fun.
  3. I have a GK head that I run through an SWR cab. I havn't owned any Ampeg, though, so I can't speak for that.
    I really dig my GK 400RB. The only problem I'm finding is that at times it is not powerful enough--when I upgrade I'm pretty certain it'll be another GK.
    As a rockabilly bassist I assume you're looking for a somewhat vintage tone. I play in a '60's style surf band, so I'm kinda in the same boat. I think that the GK really depends on what you're plugging into it bass-wise. If you are running the latest active bass through it, you'll end up with a very modern tone. However, with a vintage or reissue instrument you will find the sound very pleasing. The best of both worlds, in my opinion.
    I have a Warmoth bass with a '62 reissue PBass pickup in it. It really gets the job done. The whole set up sounds really nice together.

Uprights sound good through 'em too. I saw an upright player for a psychobilly band playing through an 800RB. He got a good tone.

Hope this helps out,

4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I have the MB150E and I'm very happy with it.
    I could never compare it to the Ampeg B100R but I bet the Ampeg is louder. The GK has superb tone, very punchy, thight low end also at higher volume, but it is not too loud (due to the sealed design I guess). This changes dramatically when you add a second cab though.
    I use it as stand-alone for rehearsals with a pop-rock band at moderate volume, but I feel better when I use it with an extension cab.

5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    is it possible to use the GK MB with an ampeg 4x10 cab rated at 8 ohm?

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hell, yes! You will draw the full 150W RMS @4ohms from the G-K, and will be amazed at the sight & sound of the volume, tone, & headroom coming from that little G-K sitting on top of a 4x10!

I've used my MB w/ a 1x12, 1x 15, and a 4x8
    all with great results. Too bad they don't offer the MB as a head alone anymore.