1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amgeg B100R/GK150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have an Ampeg B100R that has served me well, if I need more volume, I just run it through the PA. I've gotten older so am looking for something slightly lighter, especially at 1:00 am.

I've read about the GK150 but have never seen one. Would this amp serve me as well as the Amgeg has? I play in a classic/rockabilly band wtih two guitars and a drummer.

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    As far as whether the amp would serve you, you have to determine that, as far as the volume, headroom, & tone that you need/want.
    I can add that I own both Ampeg (not the B100 though) and G-K (the MB-150s).
    The MB is a fantastic unit, more so with another cab added- I use a 1x12 w/ a 5" driver- this adds a lot more volume & headroom- 150 RMS @ 4 ohms.
    The amp has a straight-up G-K sound- very modern, punchy, & tight. Both versions have great
    EQ available with parametric mids & boost on the "E" version, & contours on both. With my active Sterling, this unit amazes me.
    I know that the B100 is a great amp- it has solid
    Ampeg deep sounds in solid state unit.
    I guess they weigh about 60lbs opposed to the 25-lb G-K. I haven't played them so I don't know their level, or whether it's adequate for your band's engagements.
    I use the G-K certainly at rehearsals, & w/the ext. cab in smaller rooms. Also, it has a DI, so if you needed to, you can run it through a PA.
    If your concern is volume, the G-K should cut it as well or better than the Ampeg, but it is voiced differently-like a G-K!
    Good Luck, have fun.

3. I have a GK head that I run through an SWR cab. I havn't owned any Ampeg, though, so I can't speak for that.
    I really dig my GK 400RB. The only problem I'm finding is that at times it is not powerful enough--when I upgrade I'm pretty certain it'll be another GK.
    As a rockabilly bassist I assume you're looking for a somewhat vintage tone. I play in a '60's style surf band, so I'm kinda in the same boat. I think that the GK really depends on what you're plugging into it bass-wise. If you are running the latest active bass through it, you'll end up with a very modern tone. However, with a vintage or reissue instrument you will find the sound very pleasing. The best of both worlds, in my opinion.
    I have a Warmoth bass with a '62 reissue PBass pickup in it. It really gets the job done. The whole set up sounds really nice together.

Uprights sound good through 'em too. I saw an upright player for a psychobilly band playing through an 800RB. He got a good tone.

Hope this helps out,

K

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I have the MB150E and I'm very happy with it.
    I could never compare it to the Ampeg B100R but I bet the Ampeg is louder. The GK has superb tone, very punchy, thight low end also at higher volume, but it is not too loud (due to the sealed design I guess). This changes dramatically when you add a second cab though.
    I use it as stand-alone for rehearsals with a pop-rock band at moderate volume, but I feel better when I use it with an extension cab.

Matthias

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    is it possible to use the GK MB with an ampeg 4x10 cab rated at 8 ohm?

thanks

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hell, yes! You will draw the full 150W RMS @4ohms from the G-K, and will be amazed at the sight & sound of the volume, tone, & headroom coming from that little G-K sitting on top of a 4x10!

I've used my MB w/ a 1x12, 1x 15, and a 4x8
    all with great results. Too bad they don't offer the MB as a head alone anymore.