Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aminor G HELP?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Am G would be Open a b c d E string G right?

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Could you post some tab to clarify you're query.

3. Well I saw it on a tabs site thats why I was asking, I'am trying to learn raw hide.

4. Oh, I thought I was the only person who knew about the "A B C D E" String.

5. What do you mean Paniak?

6. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I think he means your question doesn't make any sense.

7. Ok, thats cool. So the A minor scale ending with G would look like what?

8. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I assume we're talking natural/aeolian minor, the relative minor to C major. You just look for the notes which don't have any '#'s or a 'b's. You can play the scale like this, one octave:
    E string: A, B, C
    A string: D, E, F
    D string: G, (A octave)

or like this

A string: open, B, C
    D string: open, E
    G string: open, (A octave)

Maybe someone else can provide you with the tab if that's what you want-I'm not into the use of that tab-stuff and I'd suggest you find the notes on the fingerboard yourself and decide which way is best for you to play it.. Myself, I avoid open strings as much as possible.But that's just me.

9. Thank you so muc for the help.

10. Is their an F on the a string?

11. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    There should be a couple - one at the 8th fret and its octave way up at the 20th.

12. and one where on the G string correct? F3 octave ( pink floydd uses it for money )

13. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    That would be at the 10th fret. If you know where a note is on the fingerboard, you can always work out where its octave is by skipping a string and a fret, either up or down. For example A on the E-string (5th fret), you just skip a string and a fret upwards to land on A on the D-string (7th fret) to get the upper octave.This works all over the board if you tune your bass in fourths, which I think you do.
    I think I'll turn in now-goodnite, mate!

14. Ok thank you for you're help bud, goodnight.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are 3 different Minor Scales (at least!) - natural minor, melodic minor, and harmonic - which can be played in a multitude of positions on a 4-string bass!! :meh:

16. May I ask a stupid question? Whats the difference between the major, and the minor scales?

17. One's major and the other is minor :ninja:

This might help you understand
    http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m10856/latest/

Basically... very basically:
    to create a natural minor scale from a major scale flat the 3, 6 & 7

C major
    C D E F G A B C

C nat minor
    C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

It has to do with the arrangement of half steps and whole steps.

18. Ok and can you set me striaght here? this is just C major on the a string correct? or if I weanted too?

19. It's just the Cmajor scale or whatever string(s) instument you like. The note would be the same no mwtter where you played them.

Or...if you mean this: A minor has the same notes as C major, yes.

A minor is C major's relative minor. They have the same notes and key signature.

20. I think you're missing the point. It isn't about strings and frets at all. It's about notes learn where the notes are on your bass and then you can construct any scale effectively.