1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ammoon's -$100 Jazz Bass: 4 months after!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InstantEctobass, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I believe you when you swear it's bad. But the question I'm asking is if you have been removing the screws, or are they falling off even though you haven't touched them? If they are coming off on their own, that makes this bass disposable like a cigarette lighter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you know that going in. If not, then it makes the bass mostly unmoddable (but see toothpick trick) which again, not necessarily a bad thing.

JIO likes this.
  2. I removed screws once, to shielding the cavities... in my surprises, it worked on my 3 others basses, but shielding that bass cavities was useless, still getting grounding issues. The bridge screws were unscrewing themselves with a super light gauge, plus the toothpick trick doesn't work when the wood is really poopy. I tried that too. Wouldn't hold

3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I had the opposite experience. I bought the $69 Jazz Bass kit from E Bay and i also shielded the cavity, zero noise issues. No loose screw problems either, my wood holds screws like iron. Biggest problem is crappy quality chromed (being generous here) hardware, absolute garbage but easily upgraded. Sound wise, yeah, more hollow than JB grind but tapewounds mitigate that nicely. And here she is!

Attached Files:

4. She looks beautiful, man!

5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Thanks a bunch!

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Sorry you had a bad experience.. loving mine! I swapped the pickups (didn’t really need it) and strings (awful) and gave it a proper shielding and setup, but otherwise it has been rock solid. It’s my main bass for my jazz/big band gig.

I haven’t needed it for this bass, but whenever I’ve had stripped out wood on others (esp with strap buttons) I use short coarse thread drywall screws. Correct profile and they really grip. No more pull out.

450AF649-1309-438D-ADA3-8B508D058D8A.

Yammybass likes this.
  7. You have the older version with 20 frets instead of 21 frets. The neck fingerboard material seems way better. Hopefully your body wood is stronger too... on mine, the screw holding the bridge weren't holding after only 6 months. I'm glad for you man ;)

patrickj likes this.
  8. JP Poulin

JP Poulin

Dec 17, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a blue one coming this week on Amazon. $169 Cdn about $100 US shipped free. For the price am looking for a beater to practice on at work and if it goes missing or gets trashed, no big loss ;)

9. JP Poulin

JP Poulin

Dec 17, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    You may have to drill through the body and put machine screws with washers and nuts to hold that bridge.

10. I contacted Amazon and told them that I wanted my money. They agreed. I claimed that I wasn't going to last, plus the actual listing was claiming basswood and rosewood, which was false information. They didn't refuse anything. That bass is gone for good.

JP Poulin likes this.
  11. JP Poulin

JP Poulin

Dec 17, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Mine showed up today and I sent it back. A miss than a hit.
    Truss rod out of spec. Cannot get the neck straight. A couple of high frets and plenty of sharp fret sprouts [easy fix], but pots don't work very well. Can't get a decent tone out of it. Tuners felt flimsy to me.
    Nice rosewood board with 20 frets and P Bass neck, but I prefer J neck. Pup setup is 70's style and the bridge pup was slightly crooked.
    Neck was nicely fitted to body and lightweight, but it's not worth the time for me to upgrade it.

12. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Looks like I may end up adding $1100 to the price and take a chance on a Fender American Performer series Jazz bass.
    Question, is a low end American Fender better than a high end foreign Fender quality ?
    I just tried a Squier Affinity Jazz and it was so bad I was puzzled that Fender would allow their name on something as poorly made. Maybe they should have called it the Fender Luthier Trainer Series. LOL

13. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I went back and first looked the Squier Affinity over and it didn't seem bad at all. Then I looked at American and Mexico Fenders THEN the Squier seemed not so good. I suppose it's worth $200.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  14. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    If I may ask, would someone who has a late version tell us the width measurements at the nut, 12th fret and or neck width at the body, and pretty please toss in some thickness measurements along the neck ?
    I see some of this class of neck is 1.65" at the nut and I think 2.5 " at the body. That's very wide. I have also gotten advice to take the thicker neck for this quality of wood. Rumors are it won't last years without warping.

The cost of this Ammoon is tempting me. I'll bet a set of half flat strings would do it right.

15. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    BTW, that grey neck color is downright ugly. I call it Boiled Beef Grey. LOL

16. Don't buy, it's garbage. Please go for a Harley Benton of your choice.

17. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I have an Ammoon
    I've had mine for about half a year and it has exceeded my expectations of an $80 bass.

18. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Good point - this is the common diatribe leveled against basswood. Should include a poll as to how many times owners are removing their bass's screws. :rolleyes:

19. Since I have just embarked on an orgy of periodic maintenance, screws are getting removed a lot so I can spritz the pots with control cleaner. Then, if the screws go back in loose I do the toothpick trick; if they go in tight I coat the threads with petroleum jelly.

JIO likes this.
  20. Ditto