1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amos Williams Sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jhu32, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Amos Williams' tone in the TesseracT is astounding to me and I have been trying to find ways to get a tone like his but I haven't been able to. Does anyone have an idea of how to get that sound?

madmaskbass likes this.
  2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    He has a youtube video where he runs down his gear. Basically a MM style bass, Darkglass B7K, compressor, tube stage, and Avalon DI.

Kiesel just released his signature bass and it's pretty cool.

my man pookie and madmaskbass like this.
  3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Although the Warwick thumb he used to play sounds better than the Kiesel.

Veldar, madmaskbass and IronSpatula like this.
  4. Gin

Gin

Apr 11, 2008
    Manitoba, Canada
    He splits his signals too, clean low end and distorted high mids with the B7k then through the supersymmetry compressor.

madmaskbass likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    ..............juuusst in case you don't know who TesseracT is.....

Utterly brilliant if you like Prog Rock! Kinda like a listenable/enjoyable version of Dream Theater....

madmaskbass and Pyrat like this.
  6. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    I'm going to bump this thread because I am honestly obsessed with all things Tesseract and Amos! I pretty much refound my bass playing mojo after 5 years off due to this band. I love the musicality without ego that this band has. Even more so is Amos' bass lines that are a mixture of styles and techniques. For a band to embrace such a bass forward sound is so rare and so completely nailed.

Anyway so I have had some great success getting a very close tone in idea to Amos with my glorious Warwick Thumb and Darkglass B7K ultra. I have the B7k set with very hard drive but only focused in the high mids and treble though I roll treble off as it can be too harsh at times. The key is to have the blend very clean and only a whisper of distortion tickles the top. Compression is pretty important and my TC Electronics amp is doing that for me at this stage until I can afford a decent compressor (cali 76 or Supersymmetry). My amp is set flat though it has a very noce clean musical sound (which is what Amos uses the Avalon for). Bass set pretty flat depending on how loud I can play lol. I roll the bass down when playing loud and turn up when soft. In the future I am desperate to try a Avalon U5 and couple that with my Greenboy 1212/6 and a poweramp for the ultimate tone (i'm working on it).

What I have learned:
    I really am not fond of playing slap...it just doesn't feel right to me..which means I am not going to be able to get all of the nuances of ghost percussive notes and such that makes slap decent but I am ok with this. So I have taken inspiration from my other bass idol Jon Stockman who absolutely pummels the strings with a very fast finger attack and to my pleasure and love I have been able to go pretty close to the feel Amos gets with his slap. Also playing some of the faster tempo changes is hard with fingers and on my brain but it is a very fun challenge.
    I have also learned the importance of finger placement for effect...like getting those huge bass tones from playing in the sweet spot or playing near the bridge for a really tight sound. I am also interested in the thumb plucking technique amos uses some times and I don't mind this one just need further practice. Mostly I learned the importance of Mids and the idea that Amos talks about which is to be mindful of very low notes and modest use of bass freqs. Oh and using .145 gauge strings on 34" scale basses is the best.

Look I am not one to be a fan boi but I really wanted to express my appreciation for this music and it's ability to reinspire and reignite what was always my greatest passion the bass. I am a better player, more happier in my life and more committed to one day being nearly as good as Amos ( I can only try hey). To take inspiration from someone's playing does not mean that you have to copy and for me this is the biggest thing..I learn become better and grow closer to individuality.

Thankyou Amos and Tesseract.

PabloSanz and Nephilymbass like this.
  8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA

9. Rockdoctor42

Rockdoctor42

Mar 17, 2017
    Amusingly, they're also way more complex than Dream Theater has ever been.