1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp a Day picture thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    OK, for those of you who followed my bass a day picture thread, here's the same kinda dealio, 'cept for amps!
    I doubt this one will last as long (I kept the bass a day thread going for nrealy a month), and I sorta doubt I'll be as diligent with it...harder to move around amps and cabs at 6 am than it is to just pull a bass outta it's case and snap a pic...
    Also, I kinda had an order for the basses, I really don't have any pre-planned agenda here.
    So, here we go!
    When I first started playing Double bass, I hadda really hard time finding an amp that I liked. I didn't need anything big, my initial DB jobs were just a lil trio gig, piano, sax, bass.
    Played a *ton* of stuff, finally settled on an swr california blonde which worked acceptably well. Didn't seem to color the sound much, had enough power, worked well...for DB. Didn't like it at all for electric.
    Having an amp that only works for one or the other has become a big selling point for me. In other words, if it only does one or the other, it's getting flipped. I don't get as sentimental about amps as I do with basses. With basses and me, I guess it's ok to have an axe "found one particular sound," but an amp is "a delivery tool." Get with the program or get out.
    Aaaaanyway, to make a long story even longer...;)...my first upright turned out to be a piece of junk. It hadda go too. A luthier friend of mine set me an appointment to meet with a customer of his who had a bass to sell that he thought would meet my needs. It did. He also had an amp that met my needs. He wanted something smaller, I didn't mind something larger. He had a big amp for his shows, and the amp he traded for rehearsals and practice...
    A deal was struck...
    Enter the 1990-ish SWR Baby Blue II.
    From the owners manual:
    "The Baby Blue Studio Reference Bass System was designed and developed for the discerning professional bass player in need of a superior small bass rig for studio and small venues.
    The precisoin electronic section is entriely hand built and employs everything from vacuum tubes for the preamp section to discreet solid state components for the power section. Each individual component was selected for reliability and accurate reproduction of the signals from both electric and acoustic instuments. The features were selected with an emphasis on studio applicatons and for use in live settings where a very true signal is needed. By using just the power switch and volume controls, we believe you will experience the cleanest most transparent sound you have ever heard out of your instrument. The Aural Enhancer and Tone sections are designed to bring out the character of the individual musician and instrument without altering or masking their inherent qualities or techniques.
    The speaker system in the BBII is patterned along the lines of studio reference monitors, and is quite unique to the musical instrument field. The intial cabinet was designed by the engineers at Bag End in cooperation with SWR's engineers, whom over several months perfected the concept. The 2 8" woffers and 5" cone tweeter were designed by Bag End exclusively for use in the BBII project. The system crossover and driver positioning provide for exceptionally coherent sound throughout the wide range now realised by finer bass instruments."
    It's rated at 120 standalone, 160 watts with extension cab, and doesn't say what freq response is...
    This amp is as clean and clear as it gets, and it's the first amp I go to when I get a new bass. It really puts the bass, and your technique-or lack of-out front.
    It's plenty loud for the kind of work it's good for, and quite a little monster with an appropriate extension cab.
    The two 8's have more low end than they have any right to, and will take a B string, no problem.
    The 5" mid driver is a beautiful thing-more companies should use mid drivers in leiu of crappy harsh tweeters. Smmmoooooth!
    The semi para eq section is a nice upgrade from some of the other SWR lineup-being able to pick out the one problem feedback tone with DB is really helpful. You'll see a theme here with semi para's as we go along...
    This amp really does "just sound like you and your instrument," live or tracked. Pretty kewl piece of kit:
    bbII2.

2. subscribed

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    neat, i look forward to seeing the rest, too...

4. If you take a bass off of that double bass stand, will the other tip over?

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    ditto...

6. Woohoo...Im looking forward to this.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Nosir, nope...
    I need to get one of those guitar case shaped stands that hold 5 or 7 tho...

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    This could be getting interesting soon too!

9. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Looking forward to this one.

10. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    +1

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey y'all...
    Hope Christmas DAy buys me a repreive-I told you I wasn't gonna be real diligent with this like I was with the basses thread.
    Check back tomorrow night around 7pm...

Happy Christmas to y'all!

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you want to show off an amp a day, you ought to PM tombowlus... He could go a year by himself...

13. :) I'm in.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey kids-sorry I'm late...
    Still gonna disappoint you tho.
    Divorce, rearranging the house, re-painting to make it seem different, cleaning carpets, and minding the new critter are taking all my time...
    I've got gigs every night from now til after the first of the year, so anything that happens here before Sunday will be strictly an accident.
    My new critter is really good and cute tho...aussie cattle dog mix:
    annie2.

alan

15. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Cute pup.

16. /subscribes/

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hey we can wait...

Sorry about the Divorce...

18. Beautiful dog, Chef. Australian Cattle Dogs ar a great breed.

19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am SO sorry you're going through this experience. All my best wishes for getting thru it...

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Thanks Vic.
    Just got another round of filth and ick from her lawyer.
    I was really hoping to ink a deal in 06, but mebbee that's not meant to pass...