Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Accessories

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I was wondering what are some good accessories that would be a wise investment for the bass (yeah that sentence didn't come out too well). I'm talking about compressors, limiter, tuners and such.

Also, what does a compressor do exactly, I heard that It compensates for volume so if you play lightly it will turn the volume up.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    A compresser makes your loud notes softer and you soft notes louder. evens your sound out.

3. I think I just found out what I'm gonna spend my $75 from my uncle on...I've been debating on geting a chorus or overdrive but not sure how much I would use them..Compressor sounds like a good idea..any thoughts or recomendations?

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey.. i have the Boss limiter/enhancer and i think it's pretty cool... Works great for live stuff, but i don't think i'd trust it to be clean enough for the studio... sounds great to me though.. .

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    good suggestion there, falsehood, but as usual Im going to have to contradict you. :D

I think the Tech21 Bass Compactor is a much better compressor than the Boss Bass Limiter/Enhancer. It just could be the best compressor in its class. But of course, if you want to go crazy, nothing can beat the dbx 160A.

The only thing about the Tech21 bass compactor is it costs a little bit more than the Boss limiter/enhancer. I think its about $40 more, but well worth it, IMO.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    socalpyropunk, for the money you have, and for an incredible pedal compressor, check out the ART Levelar. Very clean, works great, used by many. Just ask around and you'll hear how many people like it.

7. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    To be honest, I find it hard to get used to a compressor; especially the pedal type units that I've tried. I really like controlling my own dynamics with my hands and a compressor can really mess you up if not set up properly. In the studio it can help add some punch and thickness if needed.

Tapp

8. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    What about a rack mounted compressor, i've been looking at dbx. Any suggestions?

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    dbx compressors are great. the dbx 160A is the king of all compressors, end of story. theyre pretty $$$ though.

10. you are partially right here..

compressor only makes loud notes softer.
    to make soft sounds louder, you need an enhancer.

but any compressor worth mentioning has a built-in enhancer...

As for socalpyropunk... go check out the Behringer autocomp and Behringer Composer... they're 19" rackmountable compressor at VERY (!) good price... they're about $ 200 / $ 250 :)

11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    A compressor does make soft notes louder.

12. hey guys, quick question about compressors.

i just bought a Hartke HA3500 the other day,

has its compressor knob bla bla, i understand it evens out the notes, but like you guys are talking about, it wont make the soft notes louder?? or does the 3500 have its enhancer in right with compression?

oh yeah, fogot to say i havent tried it out yet :mad: , im picking up my cab friday :)

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

I'm curious about the same?:confused:

My 300T has a compressor, but does that mean it also has an enhancer?

14. hehe, yeah.. im still waiting for a reply about that.

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Well, it's Christmas so don't get your hopes up for a ton of responses.;)

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    First thing, you need a tuner. Boss TU-2 for the floor, or Korg DTR-1 or DTR-2 for the rack. Then your SABDDI, of course. A good chorus, like a Boss CEB-3 couldn't hurt. Then that disto crap, if you're into that. If you have too much cash, you may consider some toys like the POD, Yamaha NE-1, maybe a wireless unit. Whatever.

17. OK guys. A couple things about compressors as there seems to be some misinformation floating aroud here. This is not meant to be offensive or anything. Here goes: Compressors only reduce the output level relative to a given input above a certain threshold level. They do not make soft notes louder, although it may seem that way. Look at it this way: if your signal is being compressed when you're playing regular notes (not too soft or loud), if you play a louder note the compressor will limit the output more, if you play a softer note it will limit less. That would give the impression that it is making soft notes louder. If the signal isn't actually being compressed the compressor will do nothing if you play a softer note. If you want that to happen you need an expander not an enhancer (you were close AllodoX :D Concept right, name wrong. Language thing maybe?). The expander is like a reverse compressor. It will increase the output relative to a given input below a certain threshold.
    The threshold is the signal level that triggers the device. The amount the signal is compressed or expanded is controlled by the ratio. 1:1 means no compression or expansion. 2:1 means that for every 2 dB the signal goes above the threshold, the output only increases by 1 dB. The reverse occurs in expansion. The ratio can be varied up to approximately infinity:1. On some compressors the speed with which the compressor acts when given an above threshold signal can be controlled (Attack) and so can the length of time a certain amount of compression is applied for (Release). Often, the output gain is increased to compensate for compression, giving a louder average level with less peaks and dips. Of course this can add considerable amounts of noise. A properly used compressor can really help you get a smooth sound with just the right amount of dynamics. Used improperly they can destroy your tone and make your sound dull and lifeless. Just my opinion from here on: Compressor pedals are generally worthless with the following exceptions: EBS Multicomp (better than a lot of rackmount stuff), Tech 21 Bass Compactor and the Trace Elliot pedal. The cheaper DBX stuff isn't very good and I'll probably get blasted for this but I find Behringer stuff to be beyond awful. Noisy and inaccurate. The ART Levelar is a great bargain, though. DBX 163s (simple half-rack units) go pretty cheap (typically less than $100) on the used market and are pretty clean and effective comps.

To answer the later questions. Most on board compressors do not have expanders built in (see earlier part of post) and usually aren't very good. They typically have high ratios (10:1) or more, so they are effective as limiters (brick wall level control) but they're a bit too extreme to be used all the time. IMO, YMMV and all that stuff.