Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp acting up......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xerogh, Dec 11, 2003.

1. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I am having some problems with my amp. I have had blown speakers and bad input jacks before but what I am having now sounds a bit strange to me.

Here are the specs:

Peavy 300 Combo
    15" Speaker
    About 10 to 15 years old

The problem:

Sound volume is cutting out. I will be playing and the volume will go down considerably. I do not loose any sound quality, just volume. This goes on and off randomly.

Any ideas on what the problem is? I really love this amp for practice, it sounds great. I would rather fix it than get a new one.

Thanks,

x

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It could be a number of things, but let's look at the most likely stuff first.

When this volume drop happens, try tapping on the amp's volume knob. See if anything happens.

3. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Thanks for the reply. I did test out the knobs and nothing happened.

Listening closer this weekend I did notice some crackeling when the volume cuts down.

x

4. try jiggling your guitar plug at the jack in the front of the amp. I've had several amps with the "barrel" type jack (vs. the open style), that have had this problem...they are a little loose to start with, and add a little corrosion, and a little vibration while playing...viola! No sound or itermittent sound. Fix by cleaning the jack out with some emory paper or something similar.

5. I had a similar problem with a little GK 200MB. It ended up being the pots. Go to Radio Shack and get a can of the spray on contact cleaner. Next take the electronics out of the amp and spray the juice into the inside of the pot. Also check the input jack. There may be a solder crack that isn't very visible. Touch it up with a soldering iron and you should be good to go.

As for the pots make sure you do all of them, it may not be the main volume pot.

BT

6. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a try.

x