Amp advice: Barefaced Big Baby 2 BB2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Major_Rager_4MF, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Major_Rager_4MF

Major_Rager_4MF

Aug 8, 2017
    I did a search, didn't read every post in Barefaced club, didn't have spare week Haha

Looking for amp or power amp to optimally pair with the BB2. Something to maximize headroom (cab max rating 800W).

Considering all experience and advice. Not necessarily looking for something to add tone (but not opposed), in fact clean power amp just fine.

Light weight ideal. Class D?

Thanks

2. Take your pick of the usual suspects. They are all just as guilty ss the next of being someone's best.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Never played one, but its an 8 ohm load, correct ? Gonna be hard to find a bass head that's going to give you 800 watts into 8 ohms. Looks like a power amp is in your future.

Major_Rager_4MF likes this.
  4. Major_Rager_4MF

Major_Rager_4MF

Aug 8, 2017
    Yea 8 ohm only, 4 certainly would have given more options, but also taken away others if I want to as a second cab later. What can you do, life's good "RECOMMENDED AMP POWER
    150-800W RMS" that's a wide spectrum and I'm sure the cab does its best magic at the north end of that range.

5. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    I just picked up an original Tecamp Puma 1000 with the powersoft module that does 1000watts into 8 ohms bridged. They aren’t super easy to find, but they do exist.

6. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    I have two 4 ohm cabs. There are bass heads that will take a two ohm load. I use a Shuttlemax 12.2, which has two power amps and will give me 600 watts in to each 4 ohm cab. But, a power amp will do both.

7. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Almost pulled the trigger on one of those, but the Shuttlemax 12.2 popped up and I went that way.

3rdcurve likes this.
  8. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    I have two BB2’s they sound amazing with my Mesa D800+.

9. I’m currently using Mesa D800+ with BF Super Twin which is a great match. For d class generally there seems to be a lot of love for GK MBF 800. These seem to be top 2 contenders in d class stakes

ELG60 likes this.
  10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    These are loud cabs, even at 8 ohms.

The bottom line is you will get much more volume going from 1 cab to 2 cabs than going from 8 ohm to 4 ohm.

11. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Kansas
    I have the Big Twin II, so 4 ohm vs. the 8 of the BB2 so different power handling, but the tone results should be similar. Probably depends on your budget. I have played the Mesa D800, Quilter Bass Block 800 and on the more expensive side... Demeter VTBP-M-880D and Noble 1000W (more of a rare bird) boutique option. All of them sounded great. Currently I own the Quilter and the Noble. The Quilter Bass block really packs a punch, It can get very loud but there is also some heft behind the notes. It's by far the cheapest of the 4, so for the $$ it's hard to beat.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Has Alex ever mentioned alternative finish possibilities for the 10" cab line? The One 10 I had was finished in rather fragile vinyl and the couple I have recently seen in the classifieds both look to be wearing poorly.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022