1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Advice: Demeter Bass 400 vs Orange AD200 vs Darkglass M900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Exo-Politician, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Hey All,

Send me some thoughts. I am so conflicted I am about to tear my hair out and I really need a new amps.

So the background, just sold my Fender TV Fifteen as I have returned to playing heavier music. I am fairly eclectic and my bands range from Original Modernish Blues to Rock Covers and currently filling in for a Power Metal band and Doom Metal band.

I haven't spend a decent bit of coin on an amp in a while and I am trying to sneak in 1 really nice amp whilst I can..(Baby on the way at long last).

I have an extensive pedalboard so whilst the B3K side of the Darkglass sounds amazing. I could as easily just buy a B3K/B7K and am more interested in the fat cleaner/light overdrive tone the amp can give me.

The Shortlist:

Demeter Bass 400

I have always loved the Demeter tone and gear but am in no position to try. Love the tone on demos, love the brand as well as the weight and power. They are reasonably cheap for what you get as well.

Orange AD200

I have always loved this amp but was always out of budget when I wanted one. I have a chance to get a Mint condition one for the same price. Love the amp, obviously all tube and sounds amazing. Goes hand in hand for all my current bands. Weight is only downside IMO.

Darkglass M900

Obviously they are amazing. Love the demos. Relatively cheap as well for what you get. Huge amount of tones and lightweight. My only hesitation is I have loved the B3K tones on the demos but the cleaner or VMT tones just haven't hit me as much as the similar tones of the Demeter or Orange.

For the same price I can get:
    Orange AD200 in Mint Condition
    Demeter Bass 400 shipped to Australia inclusive of taxes
    Darkglass M900 with Super Intelligent footswitch.

Thoughts?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Everything else being equal, the AD200 will have the least amount of clean headroom.
    The M900 has a ton of clean headroom and you know how the drive channel sounds.
    I have no direct experience with that particular Demeter although I too love be their tone and have used some of their gear in the past.

3. I own the AD200B and have had zero issue with clean headroom whilst playing Post Hardcore and Stoner. Admittedly I play 90% of the time running a tubescreamer through the wet mix but I occasionally play clean.

Anyway, with the styles you've listed I assume clean is the least of your tone desires. :p

Tim1 and Rain Wash Me like this.
  4. But yes, it's heavy but totally able to be carried one handed.

5. Didn't give people much time for input.

Orange AD200 Bass Amp purchased

Kustom_Thunder and Tim1 like this.
  6. Great choice. Imo...the best choice.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Exactly what I would have suggested. Wonderful amp.

8. LeftyD

LeftyD

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    And the winner was the Orange.

Attached Files:

Rain Wash Me likes this.
  9. ... And here's the Orange

DSC_0001.jpg

LeftyD likes this.