Amp advice for oldies rock and roll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spacerust, Oct 9, 2011.

1. When I had a 60s band I used a Peavey Basic50... more than enough...

Bass was more important... played a BEAD tuned Pbass with tapes

2. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    + 1 on the new Ampeg Portaflexes, I tried one out locally and was amazed at what a great head it is for the price. Looks great too - probably couldnt go wrong with that rig and one of their cabinets. Great looking, too

I use a Genz Benz Streamliner - much preferred over the Shuttle it replaced. I play mostly blues and oldies so is consistent with what you are looking for.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    BEAD tuned? For oldies? In all my time of doing oldies (about 15 years), I've played exactly one song that I had to tune down to D for, and that was because the singer dropped the key.

4. +1

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    You can’t BEAD tune a Ravioli Bass! You’ll end up with Spaghetti strings!

:rollno:

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I forgot to mention that I tried a Hofner semi-hollow bass (affordable 370 dollar model) thru the Ampeg VR/210 and it also sounded great.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021