1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp advice needed - please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ptg1, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ptg1

ptg1

Mar 16, 2008
    Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I'm an older guy who hasn't had to buy an amp for many years. I've hooked up with some guys who are playing mostly blues/Dead type of material. I use a MusicMan fretless StingRay for about 80% of the material. We are just going to be playing local clubs. We are guitar, keys, drums and me.

My main problem is that most of the part numbers from stuff in the stores do not match the manufacturers' web sites. So, I really can use some advice from you all.

After viewing the limited choices, I've narrowed it down to 2 options:

G&K 700RB-II head with either a 410SBX or 410GLX (Gold) cab (480 w @ 4 ohm, 320w @ 8 ohm) (4-10" speakers) (I can't find the 410SBX on the web anywhere, just in the stores.)

Eden NC410SA 250 w @ 4ohm combo with 4-10" speakers

Bunch o' questions:

Have any of you had a good or bad experience with either of these 2 set ups?

The Eden is made especially for Sam Ash, so the exact specs aren't on their site, only on Sam Ash's site. It has suprisingly nice tone and power, even though it has less wattage. Is 250 watts enough? I'm playing with drums, keys and one guitar. It's less versatile as far as EQ (3-band) goes, but is 62 lbs and less expensive than the G&K.

The G&K has a lot more features, (4 band EQ, filters and bi-amp) but is more expensive and heavier. Do I need all that? I've heard the gold speakers are brighter in a club setting, though it was hard to tell at the store. Does anyone have experience with the 2 cabs?

Thanks everyone for your help! Any suggestions or comments at all would be appreciated!

2. For the Eden, look for just the NC410 - you can find it on Musician's Friend. Eden is phasing that model out for the RS-410, an upgraded version of the NC-410 (320 watts). It should be available everywhere.

The NC410 is plenty loud with its efficient speakers. For the type of music you listed, it will be plenty loud. The difference in volume upgrading to the RS-410 isn't noticeable (<1 dB).

I don't know about the GK gear...

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Eden...not my favorite. GK...not my favorite. Both those rigs are entirely workable for what you want to do and sound really good, though. If it were me, I'd get the GK rig. The Eden combo's speakers are wired in series, so if you add an extension cabinet, you're going to raise the speaker impedance and drop the wattage to nearly half. If you never plan to add an extension cab, no problem, but just for that reason I'd get the GK.

4. ptg1

ptg1

Mar 16, 2008
    Thanks, guys, for your input!

5. I have the NC210. It really takes off when you add two or more cabs, because they're wired in series.

Once, I connected six cabs to it. I calculated the equivalent wattage from the SPL to be in the neighborhood of 3000 watts. Not bad for a 200 watt amp... :)

Oh yeah, it was freakin' LOUD!

6. psychotiger

psychotiger

Feb 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Builder: Moore Custom Guitars
    Hey ptg,

I don't have much experience with either Eden or GK but I am old like you. Just wondering but have you considered an Avatar cabinet? Great reviews and well thought of on this site. The B410 NEO is 65 lbs. $441 shipped. My 2cents. See: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Good luck!

7. ptg1

ptg1

Mar 16, 2008
    Hi psychotiger,

I have heard of the Avatar, but I need to hear it before I can buy it.

I'm surprised that GK isn't that well known. Eden, I'm not because I don't know anyone personally who plays with them although I've heard of them.

Thanks for the help!