1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

amp advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by t1mmyk, Apr 25, 2010.

1. t1mmyk

t1mmyk

Apr 25, 2010
    hey im kinda a noob, im looking for a good bass head. i had some equipment that i got a few years ago when i first started and its time to upgrade because the stuff isnt enough now. i recently picked up a genz benz xb 6x10 cab and a genz benz 1x18. i have a peavey delta bass head that i only run through one cab because i dont want to blow the head. so i need a new head that can handle the ohms from both cabs 8x6. i am looking for a head that will give me a heavy fat bottom end but the clarity and the tone for the mids. obviously the cheaper the better! please help i have a gig soon

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  4. pokengkong

pokengkong

Apr 6, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Kingston Basses
    You didn't state what kind of music you play, but based on the your speakers and current head, I'm gonna take a guess that you are playing rock music. My opinion, if you want a powered bass head, go with an Ampeg SVT, it'll give you that low end and mids you want for rock. It's the ultimate rock tone. GK heads are a bit more refined, so they're a great choice too. But Ampeg is the standard. If you like pre-amp with power amp setup, then do what I do and go Alembic preamp and any stereo power amp.

5. t1mmyk

t1mmyk

Apr 25, 2010
    Right now I'm playing a reggae hip hop dub kind of mix. I bought that head before when I had a paper route and bought it because it was inexpensive. And when I wrote 8x6 I meant on cab is 8 ohms while the other is 6 ohms.

6. The Genz Benz Shuttle Max series supports down to 2ohms (IIRC), you may want to check those out.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    To clarify, the ShuttleMax 12.0 will support 2 x 4 ohm cabinets, 600 watts RMS to each cabinet. The ShuttleMax 6.0 will only support 1 x 4 ohm cabinet.

8. t1mmyk

t1mmyk

Apr 25, 2010
    I was looking into the gbe 600 or the gbe 1200 for a head, is the 1200 worth the extra money or would the 600 be enough power?