amp advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mdiddium, Jun 21, 2004.

1. mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a new amp for practice and small gigs, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I was thinking about the GK 400RB 2x10, anyone have experience with that one or would you think something similar to that would be a better choice? I play a MM 5 string and an electric upright, so I need it to sound good for both of those. Thanks.
  2. venturawest

Apr 29, 2004

i used to have the GK 400RB-IV210 combo amp. it's the only amp i've ever owned that would fit into the trunk of my tiny convertible. great sound, very flexible, great tone, portable. great for a very small gig as a stage monitor, didn't do so good in practices against my guitar players' 4x12 halfstack and mesa triple rectifier (ouch). i sold it for more power. but it's a great amp for smaller things or as a stage monitor through a PA.
  3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    GK amps are good. ive never played them personally but i hear that they are all very versitile.

i dont know what your budget is. but look into ashdown combos. the mag series i hear is great. but from experiance i can say that the abm line is amazing. loud, strong and versitile. defininatley worth it. the only problem is that they are low end hogs. so you may have to tweak it a long time to get a good sound your looking for.
  4. Check any of the stuff by CRATE. Made in the USA, bullet proof, and not to expensive. You can pick up the BT100 for $350.00 brand new, it has 100 watts rms and a 15 inch speaker. I have one of the older Crate BX100's and it is a great amp. You can get them used pretty cheap. Small enough to be portable, yet powerfull enough to play with in a band. :hyper:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors
  5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Some quality combos:

SWR Workingman's 15 combo
    Ampeg B-50R (these two got the top marks from Bass Player)
    anything by Nemesis (now discontinued but very highly regarded combos)
    The GK 1/4" aluminum 12" combo thing (someone will remind me)
    Eden Metro (good. heavy. $$$.)
    Mesa Scout walkabout combo (good. less heavy. $$$)

Another thought:

On Ebay you can find the Ampeg Portabass 250 head for about $400. It's got tone to die for at its power level. It weighs only a few pounds and sits in a shoulder bag.

The matching Ampeg 10" neodymium speaker cab is less than 20 lbs and can be had for $130-$150. That way you could have the one head and maybe a couple of smaller cabs for different gigs or locations.