1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amp advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bobmouse, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    I have just ordered a nice nwe warwick rockbass classic, I need a new amp, I will be gigging fairly soon in small clubs and pubs. At the moment I have an 8ow laney linebacker that I have had for nearly 10 years.....its shot. Any advice on an amp to suite my bass and my price of around 600 British pounds. Thank you:)

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    was the linebacker a 80w 15" combo? if so try the SWR WM-15 thats 160w. get the newer one if you can (control panel near the front face of speaker edge).

or for 600 pounds/958USD you could probably get a pretty nice Head/Cab rig. The only head I have personal experience is the SWR 350 bass amp. you could pick one up used for $300USD (redface) or $400 (older silverface) on ebay. pretty sturdy reliable head. then you could get a 300-400watt 2x10 or 15". check out www.avatarspeakers.com

3. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Thank you for your reply. Yeah the Laney has a 15" speaker it has served me well but I need something new now. I have heard a lot of good things about SWR. I really need something that is of good quality and will last over how loud it is obviously I want to be heard but if the amps bust then no ones going to hear me. I think the band were thinking about gtting a PA sorted out so I dont really need mega watts just enough to play along with drums. Cheers.;)

4. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Anyboody tried the new Laney range of amps?. Richter range or summit look ok and the price aint to bad.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yo mcrelly, it would be a b*tch to ship cabs across the pond...

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Hey I was just giving the typical "avatar will solve all your cab problems" response even though I've never heard them.

7. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Yeah, I live in the uk, I am looking on E-bay as we speak for a Trace elliot. I have played on one of the 4/10" combo's (dont know what model)...it rocked big time. althought the swr workingman 15" combo is looking like it might be a winner.;)

8. Hmm. UK. Yes, Trace, Ashdown, Laney, Orange(ok, too expensive...). You still might come better out with european stuff(EBS, Warwick). Check out their combos. US stuff could be expensive (unless used).

Jure