Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bobmouse, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    I have just ordered a nice nwe warwick rockbass classic, I need a new amp, I will be gigging fairly soon in small clubs and pubs. At the moment I have an 8ow laney linebacker that I have had for nearly 10 years.....its shot. Any advice on an amp to suite my bass and my price of around 600 British pounds. Thank you:)

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    was the linebacker a 80w 15" combo? if so try the SWR WM-15 thats 160w. get the newer one if you can (control panel near the front face of speaker edge).

or for 600 pounds/958USD you could probably get a pretty nice Head/Cab rig. The only head I have personal experience is the SWR 350 bass amp. you could pick one up used for $300USD (redface) or $400 (older silverface) on ebay. pretty sturdy reliable head. then you could get a 300-400watt 2x10 or 15". check out www.avatarspeakers.com

3. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Thank you for your reply. Yeah the Laney has a 15" speaker it has served me well but I need something new now. I have heard a lot of good things about SWR. I really need something that is of good quality and will last over how loud it is obviously I want to be heard but if the amps bust then no ones going to hear me. I think the band were thinking about gtting a PA sorted out so I dont really need mega watts just enough to play along with drums. Cheers.;)

4. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Anyboody tried the new Laney range of amps?. Richter range or summit look ok and the price aint to bad.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yo mcrelly, it would be a b*tch to ship cabs across the pond...

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Hey I was just giving the typical "avatar will solve all your cab problems" response even though I've never heard them.

7. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Yeah, I live in the uk, I am looking on E-bay as we speak for a Trace elliot. I have played on one of the 4/10" combo's (dont know what model)...it rocked big time. althought the swr workingman 15" combo is looking like it might be a winner.;)

8. Hmm. UK. Yes, Trace, Ashdown, Laney, Orange(ok, too expensive...). You still might come better out with european stuff(EBS, Warwick). Check out their combos. US stuff could be expensive (unless used).

Jure