Amp advices?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Hey

Ok, so I've decided to buy a new amp.
    I can dig up about 1000 dollars, a little more if needed.
    The thing is, if you walk into a norwegian music-store, all you will find is: Behringer, Huges & Kettner and if you'r very lucky perhaps hartke. It's terrible.
    But music123 ships overseas, right?

The thing is, I haven't tried many amps in my three year long bass-career. I have a Hartke stack, but I'm not happy with it.
    What should I look for? All I know is that I don't want another 4x10. I've considered the baby blue, but I'm afraid it's a little bit to small, even though I almost always go trough a PA.
    I play mainly jazz and funk....
    I think there's a link to me playing in my signature.
  2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    It might be worth buying something overseas and having it shipped over to you. With the way some amps are priced in Australia that way often works out cheaper. It's at least worth checking out.
  3. Yeah, I'm planning to! I don't think it will be any cheaper.But it's not more expensive either, because of the dollar right now.
    So I wonder what to buy:)
  4. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'm very happy with my GK1001RB II. Sold my Eden WT800. The Eden is good too though. there's alot of IA, Aguilar guys that will probably respond. All great gear. Things couldn't be better for us bassists these days equipment wise, so many great choices.
  6. Ok, thanks!
    The thing is, I have to buy this new - nothing is available used here in norway. Except a David Eden WT -600 for 1000 dollars. What do you think about that one?
    Thanks again!
  7. Well said! Although we all have our personal favourites and love to quibble about the finest of details, there's an awful lot of good gear out there and it has never been more difficult to pick just one.
  8. I really like the Eden stuff. The heads are all good, and all universal voltage. You can get them shipped to Norge and just pay the duties and still save money. They can do the hi fi thing as well as get warm and round. They are LOUD.

I really like this CXC110.

It is heavy for a small 110 combo (same as baby blue). But I really like the tones. Great for Jazz or rock with a believable overdrive "warmth". Tweeter is not harsh. Powerful enough to make 330 watts @ 4 ohms or 420 watts @ 2 ohms. With the strong Euro, now is a good time to buy from the U.S. This amp sells around 700-900 in the stores. Only some stores will ship to EU.

Perhaps an Eden head and a nice lightweight cab.

WT 400
    WT 550
    Time Traveller

Eden CX series or XST
    EA Whizzy 112
    Shroeder 1210 or smaller
    Hevos Midget (supposed to be a great combo)
  9. Thanks alot! I'll check that out....!
    And what do you think about the Eden WT -600? As I said, I can buy that one used here in Norway.....
  10. You want the WT 550. The WT 600 is good if you like to run stereo or like to bridge the amp. It gets complicated with stereo amps.
  11. Oh right, I see...!
    That was bad luck....
  12. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I don't know if you can find one, but for jazz I love the Gallien-Krueger RB400 with 2 10" speakers.It's not all muddy and thick, like some amps. Also, the Ashdowns are getting a lot of talk lately.
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Gosh, you folks over there on the "Continent" have some pretty awesome stuff available to you.

Just to name a few...EBS(Sweden), Hevos(Holland), Glockenklang(Germany) is all incredibly great stuff.

As far as Eden gear I had a WT-500 and I thought that it was pretty under-powered. I can't imagine the 600 being a whole lot better plus the fact that you can't bridge it into a 4 ohm cabinet makes it kind of a pain.
  14. What does that actually mean? The thing about bridging it into a 4 ohm cabinet? Does that mean that I can't just cord it into the average cab, like I use to?
    Also, I came across a used EBS fafner amp. That's a good one, right?
    Thanks once again.
  15. I never heard anyone say the WTs were underpowered, yet alone the 550. But it is all good. You can cord into (2) 8 ohm cabinets or one 4 ohm cabinets for 4 ohm operation, which still has the best sound quality. You can also cord into two 4 ohm cabinets to get the most power, at the expense of dymanics, headroom and potential thermal overload. This is 2 ohm operation.

Tech Systems are nice, too. I like the Black Cat head. Tube preamp and digital power amp. Havn't heard it though.

Hevos sometimes has demos for sale on the websight. A midget combo plus another cab when needed. The Midget combo is 400 watts @ 4 ohms, I believe.

But with such a strong Euro to the U.S. Dollar, you would be nuts to buy from E.U., in my humble opinion.

For example, if you buy an Eden WT 550 for $1,000 today, it would cost you 742.58 Euros. So you figure with shipping and import duties and you are still going to be under 1,000 Euros.

Good time to buy anything in U.S., if you are paying in Euros.
    I remember when $1 bought 1.30 Euros. Now, it only buys .7 Euros.
  16. Seems like I end up with EBS Fafner.
    Thanks again for the help.
  17. Nice amp. Those are very expensive here.