1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AMP (Amplified Music Product) 1x15 cab - Any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wdinc01, Apr 23, 2009.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Someone locally is selling an AMP 1x15, which also appears to come with a case that acts as a horn.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/msg/1135035340.html

I currently run an AMP BH-420 head, so it seems like they should match up well. But does anyone have any experience with this cab? And what kind of cabs did AMP make?

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Anyone?

3. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    Brad Johnson owns one. You could PM him. I understand these are really rare. Should match up perfectly with a BH-420.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks, I'll definitely give him a PM

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

As much as I love A.M.P. products and have owned MANY (well over a dozen), I'd be a little leary of the health of the speaker. Even if it works well now, age may be taking it's toll and it may be suspect. If you get her, be prepared to possibly buy a replacement speaker in the not to distant future. I also think $200ish is about what it's worth. Just sayin....

6. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The ad is no longer there, but if it's the cab I'm thinking of, the case is not a horn but an extension of a ported enclosure. It's a clever way to almost double the cabinet volume enabling extended LF output.

I've never played the cab, but I know that (bass amp guru) Russ Allee designed it so definitely check it out!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    According to Bill FM, if a speaker is taken care of, it should sound better and be more broken in as time goes on. It's not always a given that a speaker that's old is on its last legs. Problem is they're not always taken care of and some definitely are on their last legs. Oh well...caviar emptor!

8. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    +1 I played one of these in the 80's in a store. Excellent sound. I've always regretted not buying it. Deep, full tone from the enormous cabinet volume and the 15 is up high enough where you can hear the higher freqs. They also made a 12 like this. I never toted one but guess that they are very heavy. And the cab probably only handles about 200 watts. Put a high-power neo driver in there and it might be just the ticket.