Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMP (amplified music products) KD 400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 11, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Can this amp be used with bass? It says keyboard and drummashine amp on the front. Any info about this amp is welcomed! Does it compare to the BH-420 Head?

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Try sending Dave Funk a PM, maybe he can help out.

Maybe Brad Johnson too?

3. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I believe this amp is basicly the early version of the SWR 400.

4. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    The BH-420 was indeed, not sure about the other one though.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 400 is rare, never seen one (even a picture) but it's listed in the final AMP price list. From the catalog specs it's probably similar to the BH-420 but with multiple inputs.

I'd love to see pictures of one.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Did the BH-420 have the timbre and enhance knobs as the new Thunderfunk head?
    The KD-400 doesn´t seem to have them.
    Do they do much for the sound?

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Forget my last statement.
    Just found out that it has an enhance button (just on/off) and a "tone balance" knob which probably is the same as timbre, right?

8. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How loud are the BH-420´s? Like a modern 400W amp?

10. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    jock,

As opposed to what, a vintage 400W amp? :confused:

I bought my first BH-420 back in 1988 and have never felt a need for more power. YMMV...

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, that was not such a smart question from my side. :smug:
    I just want to know if the powerrating is overrated or something, I guess. Im always really suspicious before buying stuff as I´ve got a really limited budget as a student.

12. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I wouldn't call the wattage of the AMP heads overrated. I have never run it all the way up and in fact I also own the lower wattage BH-260 head and never run that one all the way up either.

It's impossible to gauge how much volume you are expecting to get out of it but with the right speakers it's enough for any rock gig.

How much is this amp selling for?

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Its selling for about $450 and I believe that is quite fair for being on this side of the atlantic. I´m trying to sell my old amp right now and if the AMP is still available I´ll grab it.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's sounds like a very good deal on a pretty rare amp, especially in Sweden. If I've seen one it would've been back in the late 1980's.

I've never "needed" more power since I got my first BH-420 a long time ago. I briefly bought a higher wattage amp to drive my EA VL-110s (the AMP drove them fine, it just had to work harder than I cared for) but have since moved onto Nahas cabs (still using Bag Ends too) and I couldn't be happier. The BH-420 through a coax bag End 1-15 is an amazing thing. Through the two little Nahas cabs it's dropped more than a few jaws:D

These days I use the AMP or my ThunderFunk interchangeably.

15. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    How does the BH-420 and the Thunderfunk compare in sound and volume?

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Very similar IMO. Both of my amps coast through my gigs. They sound great without tweaking and on the occassions where I've really cranked them up... they really cranked up:D

I highly recommend both amps. The AMPs are harder to find. The ThunderFunks are newer, improved amps with the AMP vibe.

17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Pssst, see my sig!!!

18. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Quad, what's gotten intoo you my man?!?! what are you DOING?!?!

they dont make these anymore!!!!!!!!!!!

i hopeyou have good reason for this sale!

19. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yeah don't remind me! I have two other fine heads (Peavey all-tube Classic 400 and a Nemesis NA650). Honestly, the NA is fairly close in tone to the AMP (not quite as much grind as the AMP) and offers a better DI, goes to 2 ohms and a few other things that are nice to have. I must admit the tone of the AMP can't be beat by ANY solid state I've heard to date... If I don't get my asking price, I just may sell the Nemesis and keep the AMP...