1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AMP amps (not A&P)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Jan 6, 2001.

1. any info on these? I can get a 600 watt head for about 200 canadian.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    AMP didn't make a 600w head. I have two of the BH-420 model which is ~400w @4ohms. 200 Canadian sounds like a steal if it's this model.

[​IMG]

They did make a separate amp and preamp combination.

3. That's the one I got!!!!!!!!!!!!
    has the factory closed???

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They went under several years ago. You're looking at a world class amp IMO. Russ Alee (Acoustic) and Steve Rabe (SWR) were both involved with this company. I think they nailed it with this amp, it's my main "big" amp and I've gigged with mine for, maybe, ten years without incident and always with great sound.

I found a second one (been looking for years, though I'm not really sure why...just didn't like the thought of having to use something else if something happened, I guess).

If it's in good working condition, for 200 Canadian, buy it. It's easily worth more than that.

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

hey Brad, I seen of those on E-bay approximately a month ago.
    it was a bit different from the one on your pic, the color on the panel was offwhite and it had wooden strips on the side panels (whats that good for?).
    I think it sold for 300 bucks or so (reserver was 250 I think).

I would have bought it if only I had the cash aviliable on hand as I live outside the US and have to convert the currency.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I know... I bid on it:D

It was the same model. The wooden end panels were an option. Rack ears were an option, too (I have a set). I don't rack mine, it's fairly light and easy to carry around.

I'd say the BH-420 is a cult amp, there's only a small group of people familiar with them and most owners, like me, love them. Kind of a budget Walter Woods;)

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No kidding, I own two BH-420s and a BH-260.

They sell for so little I figure why not stock up :)

8. he he he

cult....