Amp and cab recommendations.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassist Jay, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Alright fellow bass players, with part of my tax refund I will be upgrading my amps. I'm thinking of a 4X10 cab with a head. The models I have narrowed it down to are Markbass, Orange, Mesa Boogie or Genzler. I don't think Genzler offers a 4X10 cab but when I signed my endorsement deal with Nordstrand Pickups, I noticed they sell Genzler and I am very intrigued by them. Let me here what your opinions are or if you recommend something else.

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Hard to say without knowing what the intended use is.

My default answer therefore is Mesa.

3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I'll be using the set up for studio work and live performances. Every variety of music too.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Maybe think hifi like Genzler. You'll likely always have FOH (y/n?) so you need a good cab for a stage monitor. Having a cab that can do bright cleans makes for versatility since you can choose to dial out frequencies.
    In the studio you'll appreciate having a cab that's giving you a good listen to what you're putting into the board, without cab color.

5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If you have a deal and can get Genzler as part of that I'd be looking at the Magellan 800 and 3 Bass Array 12-3 cabs.

revroy likes this.
  6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    If I was going to drop $700+ on a new cab (probably what that Mesa costs), I'd go the distance and drop $1000 on a fearless 12/6.

7. Djadja

Djadja Supporting Member

I've been using a single Genzler BA12-3 since they were first released and love it. It has a tight, punchy bottom end that is also deep and warm. The mids are very vocal and the highs are present but never harsh. You can get a modern sound from the cab or a vintage one. I highly, highly recommend the cab. That said, if you're thinking a 410, one BA12-3 may not be enough for you so I'd recommend 2. @chris_b suggested three above but unless you need to get insanely loud, that may be overkill.

When I bought mine I considered a Fearless/Fearful, an Audiokinesis Hathor, or 2 Avatar 126's. The array intrigued me and pushed me in that direction. I am completely happy with my choice even though the others would have been good ones as well.

They do build a BA210-3. Two of those would give you a modular 410 with the addition of the bass array... I've not played one but the reviews are that they are a bit more bright than the 12 version with a bit less low mids and are punchier overall. I assume they move a bit more air as well. And a few people are using a combo of the 210 and 112 and say they compliment each other well.

I've been using a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 head and love that head. Still, I must admit that I succumbed to GAS and ordered a Genzler Magellan 800 this past weekend and will be selling the shuttle when the Genzler arrives. Given the reviews and its DNA, I expect I will love the Genzler head as much or more than the shuttle. It is supposed to arrive on Friday so I'll be using it in the church band on Sunday and putting up a preliminary review shortly thereafter.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Bassist Jay and chris_b like this.
  8. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    I've spent the last few days doing a bunch of research and have eliminated going with Markbass and Orange. But I think I may have found a set up I like and wasn't considering before. Here it is.
    GK MB Fusion 800 Head
    MB Fusion 800 Specs TEST
    GK Neo 410 Cab
    NEO 410 Specs
    GK Plex Pre Amp
    Plex Preamp

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022