Amp and Cab Storage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TxBass, Mar 26, 2003.

1. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    note to mods: you can move it if you feel necessary but it relates strictly to weather/heat/cold on amps and speakers.

Just curious about any experience with storing your speaker cabs or combos in a storage shed that does not have a/c or heat. Here in Texas the temps range anywhere from freezing (rare, but some) to 105 in the nasty summer.

I have always kept my gear in the house--but space is an issue and wondering if I will risk any damage by storing my cabs(not electronics) long-term in my shed(it does not leak).

experienced advice requested. Thanks!:D
  2. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    My band practices in a "shed" setting, and we have always left our equipment (cabs, drums, and PA) stored up whenever we're not playing. I'd say its been a little over a year since we started playing with eachother and I've never experienced any problems - and neither has the guitar player (who owns the shed thing and had used it for almost six years before I joined up to store his cabs).

Oh, and I live in Tennessee, where the temperature is often below 0 in the winter and around 95 in the summer... in case you were wondering.
  3. I used to keep my Bassman 60 out in my Jeep all the time...Never seemed to have a problem with it.
  4. The cold generally won't hurt anything, but the heat has the possiblilty of cone damage, more so on older speakers than newer ones
  5. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I generally think gear likes it at room temperature best (60-70 degrees, low humidity)

Cold can create a problem, because when you bring the amp into a warm room water can condense on the components inside. This can lead to shorts and corrosion.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im pretty sure you'll be ok in Texas, but in places like Miami (where I am) its not a good idea.

The humidity here would cause rusting. It already has on my band members gear. If humidity ever does get high around you forget about it.

7. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    folks...thanks so much for the you, I don't want to do anything dumb with my stuff just to make room. I'd rather be crowded than replacing a cab due to ignorance.