Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp and mixer help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by merlin, Sep 30, 2000.

1. I have a question, if you feel this thread should be moved to a better topic I'm cool with it. Just unsure as to where it goes. :)

I have said this before. I have a home built amp and its 25 yrs old. Thing is its not mine (borrowed equipment sux)and all the tones are up the cahoots. Plus I'm not allowed to fix it.

My question is this, Can i plug my 8 channel mixer up to the amp and plug my bass in? That way I get tone controls??
    Is it possible??

Merls

2. So no-one can help. ok, Could this thread be moved then to somewhere else?
    Cheers
    Merls

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll take a chance here. I think your answer is yes. Plug your bass into a line input, run the output of the mixer to the power amp input. I got a hunch it ain't gonna be hi-fi though.

Sometimes I practice by running a CD or MD player into a stero input of my Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro, then plugging my bass into the line input of a channel. I play along with the CD and listen to it in the headset. There's no reason why I couldn't run the output of the board into an amp, even a homemade one. Just make sure the output level of the board doesn't overdrive the power amp. Have fun and, if you elect to accept the mission, good luck. You're on your own.

[Edited by Munjibunga on 10-01-2000 at 01:32 AM]

4. I'll give it a shot. I just want to vary my tone. As i have no tone controls my sound sux and I have a Washburn XB500, can't have it go to waste!

:p

Merls

5. Unless your bass is an active bass, you'll get poor results plugging into a line input on a mixer. The impedance is all wrong and it will suck the tone right out of your bass due to excessive loading.

In order to do this right, you need what is called a "direct box", or "D.I". Then you plug your bass into the DI, and run an XLR cable from the DI's XLR jack to a "mic" input on the mixer. The DI will match the impedance and stop the loading on your bass, and you'll have good tone.

Passive DIs start at around $30, but I don't recommend them for bass. I use a Countryman Type 85 active DI with an internal FET preamp. It runs on either phantom power (48V) from the mixer or on an internal 9V battery. Countryman DIs aren't cheap though, about $150. There are cheaper active DIs around, the Behringer one looks like it might be OK for around $60.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This might be true. Works fine for me with the Lakland.

7. Agreed. That's why I said "Unless your bass is an active bass". The stuff I said applies primarily to passive basses.

8. My bass is active so that doesn't bother me. Plus building a DI box shouldn't be hard. there's a site called AMZ (www.musique.com ) I think. lol Has tonnes of schems for Amps and effects boxes. check it out.

Merls