1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp and Multi-effects help needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kissmybASS01, Aug 31, 2008.

1. I'm hoping that someone has solved a similar problem as I am having running my (Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live) multi-effects pedal into my (Marshall 450h) head.

First, the effects I use regularly are all set to roughly the same output level. When I plugged the multi into my amp's front input jack, the signal was feeding back both from my stage amp, and the monitors/FOH as our soundguy was taking the line out from my amp.:rollno:

Second. That was Friday nite. Saturday nite I tried something different. I re-adjusted the outputs on my effects even lower and instead of running to my input jack on the head, I used the effects return loop on the back. My on stage sound was 100% better, but...there was no signal output from the (xlr) line out, nor did any of the 'front panel controls' (except master volume) work.:help:

What gives? Is this normally how an amp works? If you input from the effects return only, the line out is defeated somehow?

Please help me!!!!:help::help:

2. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I don't have the manual in front of me but I recall that the Line/Amp switch on the back of the Line6 Bass PodXT Live needs to be set correctly depending on how the unit is hooked up to the amp (i.e., as a preamp in front or effect through the send/return or loop in back of the amp).

There is also a normal/Pad switch in the back as well for active/passive bass input. I'll try and dig up the manual tomorrow and post any info I find. If you have the manual (or can view it online) try to check on those switch settings.

Let me know how things turn out.

Mike

3. Islander, when I plugged into the front of my amp, the switch was set to "amp." To make matters more confusing, one of my basses is active, and yes, one is passive. I'm thinking it would probably be best to just leave that switch in "pad" and just turn up my bass more when using my passive.

So one question still un-answered tho: Is it only my Marshall, but if the only input into my head is thru the "effects return" and not the front instrument input, it defeats the xlr direct out on the back of the amp.

Arggh!!!! Too confusing, too confusing....:confused::rollno:

On a happier note, on the weekends when I'm double booked for an Fri and Sat nite, with a Sat afternoon somewhere else, I can use my multi-effects as my stage rig. I tried it out yesterday at our afternoon blues jam, and because I knew the soundguys had their $#!\ together, I wasn't really worried. (I did bring my head along "just in case.")

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Using the "effects return" input bypasses the preamp on the Marshall, leaving you no control. You should use the POD in the regular amp input, pad "off", and adjust your levels accordingly. Another option is to use the amps loop, but both sides. Bass plugged into amp input, Pod through the loop, effects send to Pod input, Pod output to Effects return, but the first method I described would be better. Also, the input pad, even with an active bass, use the passive, non-padded unless it's just too hot, (you'll know).

5. Thanks for the advice RickenBoogie. Unfortunately I live in an apartment so getting my effects dialed in at "gig volume" is a fast track way to get me evicted (as good a player as I am :D) I'll have to just guess-timate my anticipated volume required and then "quickly" tweak the settings on the fly - can be done, but not the easiest thing to do:meh:

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Or for your next gig at a non-hostile venue, ask the venue manager if you can come in to soundcheck 15 minutes early. And (as usual) +1 to RickenB's comments/advice. :)

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Try hitting the pre/post switch on the back of your amp. It send like the DI out is currently set to be before the fx loop in your signal. Pressing that button should move it after the loop so you should hear your signal.

But I would recheck the Line6 manual again for output settings running into the amp's main input. You'll have more eq control then, very useful for awkward rooms.

8. In a previous thread elsewhere, I enquired about the pre/post switch. For my Marshall head, the "pre" is at instrument level (I think) and "post" is for line level. When I have the switch set to "post" the signal is waaaay too hot for the board.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's common on older amp designs. Your best/only good option is to run bass >> fx >> main instrument input on your amp, and adjust your fx levels accordingly.