Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp and onboard eq

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by phattybass, Aug 19, 2003.

1. phattybass

phattybass

Dec 12, 2002
    This may be a bit controversial, but I mean no harm. Like many people on this site, i have found that the best setting for bass tone is to have everything set flat on bass and preamp. However, when one decides that they'd like to cut through the mix a bit more, I hear that boosting the low-mids is usually the answer. But isn't that kinda clanky? And if you boost the low mids, don't you have to boost something else so that you don't end up hearing just the low mids?
    And if one does want to boost the low mids, what frequencies are they? and how much of it do you add so that your sound is still balanced and sounds "good"?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    When I say low mids, Im talking about anything between 15OHz and 300Hz.

As for sounding clanky, well I guess it can when you're playing by yourself. I'm like a lot of others on TB who start the gig flat and adjust as necessary for room acoustics and whatever frequency space is being taken up by the other instruments on stage. I don't care about what it sounds like on it's own, I care more about what it sounds like in context with everything else.

For example, I have no problems whatsoever with cutting 40Hz by 6dB if the kick drum is banging away at that frequency. If I compete for it, both instruments will sound mushy and undefined.