amp and speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ruscarie, Mar 6, 2001.

1. I currently have a hartke 3500 head and a Hartke 4x10xl cab using a older Ibanez proline 4 string playing godsmack style music. My problem is that my guitarist purchased a Mesa boogie single recto verb head and a 4 x12 mesa boogie cabinet with ev's in it and no matter how I set the eq on my amp or what volume level I am at or the guitarist levels are set I seamed to be drowned out. The guitarist is unwilling to change his setting because they are set to how he likes them. So I am possibly lookign at a differant and speakers. I would like to stick with a 4 x 10 cab. I was lookign at a SWR Goliath III and maybe a the 350 or 500 series head. Has anyone run into this problem or has any suggestions?
  2. Have you boosted your mids? My friend has a peavey special 212 guitar amp (200watts into 2x12's) and it's JUST like the Mesa Double Recto. I just turn up my bass and mids and I'm able to be heard with no prob. If this fails. I'd get an ampeg =) You'll get heard with that. =) Hope this has helped ya out.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Kick the guitarist in his balls if he doesn't lower his volume.
  4. Yes! That always works. Hehe, make sure that if you're not bigger than him, have the drummer on your side! hehe =)
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I AGREE!!! a swift kick to the balls oughta change his mind. But you should also have a plan B. hmmmm.... let's see .... OH YEAH buy another Hartke 410XL cab and run both cabs outa your 3500!
  6. yea, get the full 350 watts outta the biotch! hehe
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I dunno -- might be hard to hit a target that small.

If his were bigger, he'd play bass. ;)
  9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    id probably get a 15 cab to go with your 4-10s! I have a goliath II and i love that puppy! Oh ya kick him in the balls! Damned guitar players are everywhere!
  10. I kick him in the balls so much already he wears a cup all the time so I know this wont get him to turn down or alter his sound to help. It's all about the perfect guitar tone right. LOL FOF

I dont know what is exactly going on for shure.
    IT seams liek when I get the highs to sound correctly I loose the lows and when I get the lows to sound right the highs drop off. I dont know if it is my head or just I am maxing out my cab at the volume levels we practice at. Honestly we probably practice to loud but we are able to practice at the same volumes as our stage volumes are when we play out. When he had a Marshall head it seamed liek my equipment worked well with it. As soon as the mesa came I have been dumb founded to find good acceptable tone and it just gets worse when I play my five string instead so I primarly jsut use my four string now.

I am new to playing bass only been at it about a year. I am a converted guitarist but am beginning to realize what a pain in the ass I use to be lol. I wanted to know if anyone has gone through this when thier guitarist change equipment and feel like they have to play a game to get differant equipment to tone wise match better.
  11. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I'm with the guys that say kick him in the nuts.

1st of all, he should have the integrety to turn down, if not, then he is compromising the music, cause you can't be heard, so I think he is an a** for doing that. The music should never be compromised

2nd, he should turn down out of respect for you, and your band mates ears. I know I would turn down if my guitar player wanted me to, just cause he is him and has input on the way we sound.

So if kicking him in the nuts doesn't work then get the new amp (if I were you I would get a 900 with the mogolopolis) $$$
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sheesh, why all these violent tendencies? All I did was making fun of a username (yeah, guess who ;)). Guess my attempt at humour didn't work. :)
  13. eep, I wonder who's username you were making fun of! hehehehehe :D

oyterman, did anyone tell you that you look like one of the dudleys from wwf? lol all you need are his glasses!
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    try boosting your mids a bit, i have the hartke 2000 head, has the same eq as yours, and when i have a hard time cutting thru mids a bit and it usually seems to help.

freq: 125 and 500 are the ones i usually boost and it cuts me thru quite nicely....and kick him in the balls
  15. I agree about boosting your mids to cut through the guitar....and also about kicking him in the nuts.

By the way my guitar player is here as I type this, he uses Mesa as well, and also agrees that you should kick your guitarist in the nuts for being an ass.

See not all guitar players are bad, just the majority of them. ;)
  16. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Get another 410 and kick him in the balls. You'll effectively almost double your volume and not have to compromise your tone too much. I used to like 15s and 18s but now I think they just sound mushy.

Regarding the comment you made about boosting the highs, losing the lows.....

I read an article recently that talked about how current amplified music pushes the human hearing mechanism i.e. ears and brain, to the limit. Noisy music like heavy metal or punk, hard rock, etc in particualr has so much harmonic (noise?) content that the auditory system has a tough time picking out stuff, particualrly at loud volumes.

When you crank the high end on your amp, the ear has an easier time isolating those frequencies and so more attention is placed towards those frequencies giving the illusion that there is less low end. Cranking the mids is a good compromise but too much and it can make the bass sound nasal.

When ears get tired the first thing to go is low end response so as the practice wears on don't be surprised if you hear less and less of your bass, if you tape the practice though, your bass won't sound any different from the first minute to the last. Unless of course you are drinking in which case your playing will get sloppy.
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Drop a 1x18 under that 4x10. You will get your lows back. :) Also, since you will be pushing more air, you will get some volume back too. Not to mention you will get to keep the amp you are already familiar with.
  18. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Add three more 4x10s and get an air rifle to help persuade the blighter to conform. alternatively, put him in the corner of the room with his cab facing him and see how he likes it!

Actually, he might like it.
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have that head and let me tell you its one hell of a powerful B@#$%. Definetly powerful enough to blast through your guitarist.

My suggestion is be sure you are using it correctly.

Are you plugged into active or passive? Only use active if your bass has a batery.

When using the tube and SS dials on the preamp, its important to make sure you get as much power as you can from that stage.

First focus on the SS setting. while playing your bass as you normally would, start turning the dial up untill you hear it become distorted. Once it does turn it down a bit. Make sure that it will sound good unless you play much harder than you usually do.

When you set the tube section, gradually turn down the SS as you put the tube up. Only use the tube stage if you want some distortion. My suggestion is to leave it fairly low.

Make sure you arent using the compresor too much, because that will completely kill your sound.

First plug your bass in with the compressor off, then leave it off unless you are sure you want it on. If you are sure you want it on, then make sure the lights not red all the time.

Make sure you have the graphic EQ on, then set the 30, 60, and 125Hz, sliders all up quite a bit.

Take the 1,2k sliders and set them up a lil bit higher.

Set everything in between to make sure its all smooth, and there arent any sudden spikes, and set the highs sloping down from there, and your pretty much set as far as that goes.

WHen you get to the rotary EQ knobs, set the bass about 3 o clock, and the highs full on, and you should be able to get the rights sound.

Im not using my amp right now, and its been a while since Ive tried to play that style music so I could be off, but thats my best guess.

Now chech the master volume and youre good to go.

I use this hooked up to a 2-15" cab and it serves me great. If thats doesnt work for you, get anothercab, but I doubt you will need more than another 2-10.

What kind of cab setup is your guitarist using anyways?