Amp as Home Theater Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Cadet, Jul 23, 2000.

1. Bass Cadet

Bass Cadet

Jul 7, 2000
    Howdy, gang. I'm new here but I searched through the archives and didn't see anything about using a bass amp as a home theater subwoofer. Anyone else do it? Any caveats?

I'm currently using my Roland Super Cube 60 (a decent kick around combo) but don't want to keep hooking it up and unhooking it to take to practice. I do have a spare amp (Acoustic B-1) that I'm thinking of using as part of the subwoofer deal. Is there a decent but cheap 10-12" driver?

I'm also considering buying another small combo such as the SWR Workingman's 12 or GK's MB150S.

P.S. My main rig is a GK 800RB biamped into an Eden D-210T and D-115T. Yeah, that'd be a great subwoofer but it'd look a little out of place in the family room. [​IMG]
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmmm ... there's an idea. Lessee, I've got a 1500-watt QSC amp and a couple of JBL 918 (18-inch) cabs .... YES! YES! Talk about BITCHEN! I'll get back to you on this. Mary... oh, Mary ...
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Welcome, to Talkbass, Cadet. Don't forget to fill out your profile. It will help us answer your questions.

Will C. [​IMG]

I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.

4. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I'm not sure what your goal is. To have a subwofer for a playback (stereo/home theater) system or a subwoofer for your instrument amplification? Either way the 15" Eden is not a subwoofer nor is any driver rated to only 40Hz.

There is a world of tone below 40Hz thats coming from your bass that only a true subwoofer system can produce or reproduce.

I use the Bag End S18E-D cabnet, ELF-M prosseser, QSC 2402. This system can be used with either home Hi-Fi or in the bass rig and is rated flat to 18Hz. I first tried using the crossover in the Navigator Pre-Amp to biamp the signal which worked but after installing the ELF-M it became very clear that this prosseser is worth every dollar.

As usual doing bass is expencive and this system was no exception. The fact is most everyone who has played through this system is now using one.

Hope this helps
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't know your equipment, but in my experience, bass gear is not suitable as HiFi-equipment, because it adds too much 'color' to the signal. This is ok for bass, because one needs/likes it this way (mid boost), but it won't give you true reproduction of music. But I don't know if this is also relevant for subwoofers - just a thought.
    Sorry for my bad English.
  6. It's funny--I tried using my 1x10 ported Carvin combo, which is good down to 40Hz (very high cabinet/driver ratio), as a sub. It sounded like crap but was assloads louder than all the 400W subs my friends have.

Get a real sub. Use your bass rig as a bass rig.
  7. Bass Cadet

Bass Cadet

Jul 7, 2000
    SMACK! [palm hitting forehead]

I do have a real subwoofer (hi fi). I'd forgotten about it. So I hooked my spare bass amp up to it and have been using it for a few days. Not bad, frees up my combo and may even sound better. I don't claim to have golden ears so it works for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may buy a real home theater subwoofer someday, but this'll hold me over for a while.

[This message has been edited by Bass Cadet (edited August 01, 2000).]
  8. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just bought a Miller & Kreisel (M&K) VX-7 MKII from a local pawnshop. It is dead mint. It's a small powered sub with long throw 8" driver. This was the impetus to pull one of the new Harman Kardon receivers I bought last year out of the box and finally set it up. (I also found a Palm Vx for $130!)

Even without "golden" ears, bass equipment might sound OK until you compare it to something that is designed for that application. The reason I mentioned some of the stuff I'm using is because of price. The M&K was $140 and it's flawless. The Harman Kardon Dolby Prologic surround sound receivers came from for $120. I'm using it with:

Celestion SL-6 speakers - yard sale, exc. cond.,$40
    Rear in-wall speakers - MCM Electronics, $60 My wife and I prewired our house for phones, Cat5 for networking, and audio. Cost us about $300 plus our labor one weekend. Well worth it.
    DCM center channel speaker - $50, pawn shop
    GE 31" Monitor w/S-VHS - bought 3 years ago, open box, $350 complete
    Toshiba DVD- $120 from
    Toshiba HiFi VCR -open box, Best Buy, $75 complete
    RCA HiFi VCR - open box, Circuit City $75 complete
    Sony 5 disc changer - $65 pawn shop
    BSR electronic EQ with memory - $40 pawn shop
    Digital cable box - no charge with service

Can you tell I love a good bargain (that's how I ended up with all of this bass stuff, too). If you shop around there are deals galore. I have more audio equipment than bass equipment ( a lot more, including Magneplanars, Adcom, NAD, B&O, Nakamichi and a ton of other stuff). To appreciably improve on what I have would take a lot of cash. I'm pretty happy with what I have. Shop around, negotiate, keep your eyes (and ears) open, above all get familiar with this stuff, it really helps to be able to recognize a "deal" when you find one.

Then again, if you just want thump, try the bass rig [​IMG]
  10. Jones.

Jones. Guest

This is for anyone searching for the reversal of the topic: using a home theatre or stereo as an amp.

I run my passive bass through a Behringer PB100 pre-amp, using two small 1/4 inch to stereo plug adapters from a BCH100 Chorus into a stereo cable.
    The pre-amp is cranked up as high as it goes.

If you are producing a mono signal as normal you will need a stereo splitter cable from an adapter attached to your pre-amp to the two stereo inputs on the stereo.

My theatre system is a Pioneer 5-speaker with a sizable subwoofer, the nice phasing split stereo signal produced by the BCH100 is noticable through the two 'front' speakers.
    The signal is not quite brought up to a normal tv/listening level, but it works. There is minimal hum and the sound is good.

Can be handy if playing your friend's lounge, want to leave your amp behind... or if you have to lend it and make do for a while. You only need a few bits to make it work.

A warning about the dangerous volume of the signal should be noted, silent plugs are recommended in this case... I use a red Neutrik one from my bass just in case there are any accidents. For god's sake don't plug this setup into your amp!