Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp at university

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, Mar 18, 2003.

1. im going to unversity this october (york hopefully! - UK) and im wondering what size of amp people take with them. At the moment, im am about to get myself a new big decent combo amp, about 300W, which should cover all of my gigging prospects for the near future. Im hoping to start some kind of band at university, for which i will need the amp, but im wondering, am i likely to ever use this amp at uni much? its a big big and loud for those little rooms in halls, so where do i store it for practices and stuff?

any help or advice would be much appreciated

PS: i do have a little practice amp as well.

2. A wise man once said....."You can play a loud amp quiet, but you cannot play a quiet amp loud...."
    Take these words as you wish

3. So the MONKEY took the last cookie..ahh...

Yeah but loud amps soud like poo turned down, kinda. Go with the loud 300w amp though. :D

4. I brought a tiny practice amp first year but that quickly changed to a half stack.

I'd recommend something with a headphone jack on it for playing if you have a room mate who's going to be around a lot.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. But you have to factor in storage space, and your willingness/ability to lug it all around.

I don't think a combo will be enough for most bands. You should look at an extension speaker to go with it. eg a combo with a 15" speaker, plus a 2x10 to help it along.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I used a 200 watt all tube Marshall Major head and a 2x15 EV SRO loaded cabinet....but that was the late '70s. A friend had an SVT with an 8x10.

I was young and not self concious about playing loud...I actually behaved myself more on bass than I did with my EVM loaded Twin Reverb and a Gibson 335 (I like feedback!!!!):bassist:

A powerful combo with extension cabinet is a really good idea.

Have fun (and don't forget to study;) )

7. I'm gonna go with my 4 space rack (w/ Ampeg SVP-BSP and power amp) and either 1 or 2 Aguilar GS112 cabs.

8. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Take both! use the little amp in your room, and store the big amp somewhere and get it when you are gonna need it... thats what i do anyway ;)

DC :D

9. im using a 2x10 with 400w going into it here in my dorm right now

10. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    take all of your equipment with you. I've had mine with me for two years and I don't regret it a bit. Im a gearhead so it may be a bit excessive, but at least I'm prepared for whatever I may need it for.

the shaz is right. a practice amp will never be enough for a band, but a big rig is fine for (stationary) practice.

Being a bass player at college, your chances of finding a band are good. Everyone and their mother plays guitar, we're in slightly higher demand.

just make sure any room mates are cool with it. (mine didnt have a problem until i vibrated his computer to death... be careful)

good luck!

11. I just took all my gear with me when I was in the dorms... I didn't have a stack then tho, just a combo. Still though, considering my combo, my roommate (and guitarist!)'s even bigger combo, his keyboard, and our collection of guitars/basses, we devoted quite a bit of space in that room to music gear!

Now that I'm in a house, I would keep all my stuff here all the time, but since the house got broken into a few months ago I haven't felt safe keeping any expensive gear here for extended periods of time :mad: But yea, I'd say take everything you have room for and feel comfortable keeping there.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you don't have an immediate need for a larger amp, it might be a good idea to hold off on buying a new amp until you get to college. That way you'll have a better idea of what your roommate is like and just how much room you have to work with. Plus it will give you more time to save up and then when you're ready to purchase a new rig you'll have more options available.