Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp basics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mac_the_sac, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Could someone explain to me what heads, cabinets, preamps and all that other stuff are, and how they work together I haven't been able to understand what they all do.

Thanks

2. Anyone?

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I take it you don't have a teacher to explain these basics to you, as well as other "must-knows" regarding how to play the bass?

In a nutshell:

Preamp: Handles the tone-shaping of the amplification process, as well as gain/level adjustment.

Power amp: Provides the actual power to drive your signal to the speakers, the volume, if you will.

Speakers: Converts the electric signal into vibrations that are audible to the human ear.

Typical modular setup is in the order of bass ---> preamp ---> power amp ---> speaker cabinet.

Most small "combo" units have the preamp, power amp and speaker cabient integrated into one single box, what most students and beginners perceive as an "amplifier".

Best of luck to you.

4. Thanks for the help Erik, I do have a teacher but we dont play through amps at lessons. One more question. Is a head a preamp and power amp in one thing? Thanks

5. yep