AMP BH-420 advice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fralim01, Apr 20, 2005.

1. I found a used A.M.P. BH-420 (precursor to the Thunderfunk line) in good shape for $350 shipped. For you A.M.P. this a good deal and will this amp work well with my dual Aggie 1x12 setup for a blues trio and contemporary worship settings? Volume an issue? or headroom?
  2. havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    How does the Gibson sound compared to the TF??
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $350 is a fair price and it should work fine for the applications you stated.

I've been using my BH-420 in blues bands since I bought it (new!) in 1988.
  4. How close in sound is it to the newer Thunderfunks?
  5. Now Im confused :D

I have never heard the Thunderfunk. I know the AMP is the precursor model. How much difference does the upgrades in the Thunderfunk make is my question I guess..
    Im being cheap :D Is a $350 AMP BH-420 going to get me 90% of the $1000 Thunderfunk tone?
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The AMP midrange EQ tops out at about 1K, the Gibson/TF goes about 4X as high. That's a big diff if you use EQ a lot. The "enhance" is only on/off on the AMP vs. variable on the Gibson/TF, another big diff.
  7. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    And the Thunderfunk amp uses polyester film caps instead of the much cheaper and poor sounding electrolytics used by AMP, Gibson, and most other manufacturers. The Thunderfunk also has more capacitance in the power filter supply giving a firmer, less flabby low end, and silver-mica caps giving it a smooth, non-brittle high end. The 400-watt AMP BH-420 is 2-1/2 rack spaces, and weighs 23 pounds. The Thunderfunk and Gibson are 2-rack spaces, and weigh 15 pounds. The Gibson GB-440 puts out 400-watts, while the Thunderfunk TFB550 puts out 500-watts, and has a fan, Speakons, and a ground lift switch. The AMP BH-420 has an adjustable crossover for use with a second amp, and the AMP's DI is pre-eq and has no level control.
  8. Thanks Dave! Im going to get the AMP and If it works for me tone and volume wise I will be giving you a call to upgrade to the TF! :bassist: