1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp brand/sound app?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Jul 4, 2014.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Is there such a thing as an app that has several of the top amp manufacturer's tones given side by side? Maybe it was just somebody's wishful thinking, but I thought I read about one somewhere (other than YouTube videos) that gives a little demo of the different amp colors. For instance what does something sound like with the 'Orange' voicing compared to a 'GK' baked in tone, etc. I know each manufacturer has too many different configurations (tube vs SS & hybrid) to give a comprehensive listing of all of them, but it sounds like a great idea for someone who may be wanting to make a purchase without being physically able to try them all. Does something similar already exist?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There are several companies that have licensed their names to plugins, and they usually have demos, plus there are shareware and freeware plugins you can also get. The problem with them, though, is that while they can sound quite good, the best they'll ever sound is as good as a recording of a bass going through a certain type of amp, and you miss a lot of factors that you get when you actually play through the stuff. Plus a lot of them are fairly inaccurate, though I'll admit many are also quite good. So as a studio tool, I vote thumbs up with them, but not so much as a way to try out amps without trying them out.