Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp brands

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juddium, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    Alright. Looking to set up a killer amp, but I need to do my homework first.
    First of all, I need to find out what the best cab setup is - I see 4x10, 15's, some with horns, some without...I assume it's got a lot to do with my playing style (I like to play a lot of different stuff).
    Second, what's the all around best brand to buy for the cab? I've heard Ampeg mentioned a lot, yadda yadda...

So if that gives me an awesome cab, now I'm looking for a head. My cousin who is an excellent bass player said Hartke makes the best heads around...any word on that?

As far as money is concerned, I'm not too worried about dropping close to $1000 on this amp. Less is great, but I want absolute quality - I don't want to have to upgrade for a very long time.

2. If I understand you right, and you want to spend $1000 on the amp alone you will find better choices than hartke IMO. I am by no means an expert on amps but I can recommend that you be more specific about the type of sound you want. Do you want a bright snappy sound for slapping? How about an old school bass thump? Maybe a hard rock growl?

The more info you provide the more that the real experts on this forum will be able to help you.

Happy hunting!

3. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Wow, there are about as many opinions about this stuff as that are amp brands and, in the end, your questions are pretty much impossible to answer at this point. And, when you say $1000 on the amp, is that cabs and head or for the total setup. Either way, chances are that you'll wind up with a pretty amazing rig if you play your cards right. BTW, Hartke? Just say no, (my opinion).

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    A rig for $1000 with all new equipement will be hard to do, but with use equipment it will be no problem at all. Today I found a Traynor 2x15", probably early to mid 70s for $125, it needs a new speaker which would probably have to be done anyway since its currently 16ohm. (I'm hoping its two 8ohm wire parallel but I haven't had a chance to look.) There were also a few used Peavey heads, a used Laney head, and a used Randall 2x15" cab with massive ports. If you have a good music store near you they should have a fair ammount of used equipment or you can ask them to keep an eye out for anything.

As far as your questions... there is no best all around brand, it's a matter of preferance, just like I prefer my $170 ibanez with EMGs to an FBass Studio 5. Each company has a differant sound, as far as cabs go I really like Berg and Ampeg, and with heads I like Ampeg and GK the most. I don't however like GK cabs. You really should just play on as many as you can and get a feel for the sounds you are going for.

5. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    Yeah, I should've been more specific...my bad
    So by best, I guess what I mean is as far as quality goes - my area of expertise is car stereo equipment, so I know that buying a Pyramid amp is the same as buying a pile of bolts and hoping the bolts can produce sound, whereas Rockford Fosgate or Eclipse are in the higher end of things.

I'm not really into slapping, so a light peppy sound or whatever doesn't suit me. I like rock and old style bass, so I'm thinking I want something that can growl or lay down decent thumping basslines.

$1000 is total budget for amp.

Yeah, I guess part of the thread is so I can figure out what it is I want to look for as well as look for it. And hopefully I can make more sense with other sentences than I did with that one.

6. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I think that it'd be a great idea to check out the used market for the head. I picked up a Genz Benz 500H for $400 and I couldn't be happier with it. There are a lot of options for you though -- SWR 400/400s, GK 800RB just to name a few. There are also a lot of cab options. I just bought a Dr. Bass setup for $600 and I really love it. Do your research and check in before buying, you'll do ok.

7. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Go to a store and try a GK head with an Ampeg cab, that is my suggestion. It can be had for probably close to $1000, $500-600 for the cab, $450 for the head. Listen to your favorite bass players and find out what they are using. Also I really suggest looking used, but unless you are willing to make a blind commitment don't buy without playing first. I bought that Traynor cab without playing it because I knew what I was getting into and the investment wasn't all that much.

8. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    Interesting thought. Maybe that's what I should be asking - what qualities of amps/cabs do I want to look for if I want a solid deep bass and a cutting midrange, something that I can lay down a sweet groove with and play some growling rock?

9. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Everyone looks for different things. I look for punch that's not too punchy, well defined notes and consistant tone across all volume ranges. I don't like really boomy bottom end, kinda sounds like mud with my playing style, and I don't like really shrill highs. That's just my taste though.

10. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    Right, that's the kind of sound I like as well...what I meant was, what kind of hardware produces that sound? What cab setup is ideal for that, what head does that kind of work, etc.

11. Just curious which GK cabs did you try? What did you not like about them?

12. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I think that my rig has been pretty well documented on this forum and on Harmony Central. Do a search on "Dr. Bass" and you'll no doubt find it rather quickly. There are lots of options though, this is merely the one that I've decided on.

13. I think a 2x12 and a 2x10 cab are a good combonation for rock growl and thumping. I happen to have Avatar cabs and I am very happy with them.

14. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Don't remember exact models, but it wasn't so much a problem with the quality, just not what I was looking for. They are very true sounding to me and I like a bit more low-mid. They just didn't thump the way Ampeg does. I also mentioned that I liked Bergantino, which is really not much like Ampeg at all, in fact it might be closer to GK, but they are very clear sounding cabs, great lows mids and highs. I would probably never buy one because for a live sound I like a lot of thump and that is really too much amp for a studio.

15. I've owned two GK 1x15s with the 400w EV in them. Both of them actually were screwy. One (the older of the two) had the outer workin's of an EV 400w, but the innards of a 200w. That's not entirely GK's fault. However the cab I still currently own the hole for the speaker was cut improperly. I could never figure out why the cab sounded like it was making crazy farty vibrating sounds... took it apart and realized that the hole was an oval and the one of the screws that hold the speaker in was 'floating.' Nothing a new screw and a washer and nut didn't fix though.

16. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    Yeah I liked your article on Dr. Bass - thinking that's probably what I'm going to go with for the cab. The cab you had, the 2060, is that something that I gotta have them custom make?

Still not too sure what head would best match that cab either.

17. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Marc hand makes all of his cabs but he's already got all the specs for mine. He usually makes them with Neos but I went with Deltas and kind of threw a wrench into things.

18. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    I saw you mention that in the article and I didn't know what either was. Looks like it's research time for me

19. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The GK 1001RBII is by far the best deal going for bass heads. 700 wattts, great tone. light weight. $649 shipped from Rik's Music.

http://www.riksmusic.com

Avatar speakers are a great value also. $339 for a 4x10"

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

Dr Bass cabs seem to be a good value also.

20. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003

Neo's are speakers with lightweight, extremely powerful magnets. As far as I can tell, the jury's still out on whether or not they're ideally suited for bass apps but they make carrying the cabs a heck of a lot easier. Deltas are made by Eminence and are pretty common in bass cabs.