1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp buzz and solutions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassKitty101, Aug 1, 2012.

1. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Endorsing Artist: Luna Guitars, Ashdown Engineering, Cactus Picks
    So recently I have gone through a massive (and very expensive) overhaul in gear. After upgrading to some pro series equipment I went and got some nice planet waves cables to make sure I got the best tone running through everything. I can turn my crank my head to the max through my 410's with the bright button in and tweeters on (God help us all) and with the blending knob set central between neck and bridge I get whisper quiet performance which I am very happy about.
    One thing remains.
    Occasionally if I solo the neck or bridge pickup, which are a tad noisier on their own, I get that buzz that differs in volume depending on which way you are facing when you stand near the amp. Is avoidable in any way or what even is this called?
    Not that it's really an issue, even at it's loudest it's fairly quiet.
    But still, something I wish to learn about.:eyebrow:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Your pickups are single coils. Usually they're wired to where when both volumes are equal, there will be no buzzing. But if you change the volume on either of them, you will pick up hum in certain situations. But single coil pickups are almost always brighter, and some folks feel that it's worth occasional noise to get that sound. You can replace them with humbuckers, but the sound will change.

3. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Agh alright, I figured that. Just wondered why sometimes it seems louder then others. Probably because of the beating one's ears take haha.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! Actually it's because some noise sources are more potent than others.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    There's only so much you can do with a single could pickup to reduce the noise.

Having the cavity under the pickups lined with a conductive coating or foil helps. Your instrument probably already has this. Inspecting it is the best way to check that it has been done right. Use an instrument cable with good shielding. This doesn't mean that the cable needs to be expensive, it just needs to have good shielding. Changing the position of the amp or where you are standing can make a difference. External sources of noise can be a problem. Don't let your instrument cable run near a power cable, keep the cable flat on the floor without any loops. Don't use a 50 foot cable when a 20 footer will do. Phones, transformers, transmitters, fluorescent lighting, light dimmers, bad AC power wiring, the list goes on, can all be sources of noise. Some people even pick up more noise than others. It sounds odd but some folks ground themselves the instrument with a wire so when they are not touching the strings, they don't increase the noise. Dealing with all this and your single coil pickups are still going to be prone to picking up noise. That's the nature of their design.

You might find this helpful.

6. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Alright thanks! Just changed the strings and everything sounds great. And I learned something useful