Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Touchdownboy, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Touchdownboy

Touchdownboy

Dec 29, 2001
    Australia
    I have a b2R and ampeg svt4x10 classic cab as my rig. However, whenever I turn the horn knob past the quarter mark the cabinet begins to buzz more and more, its not that bad, I was just wondering if this is normal as I've never had the chance to check how much the horns buzz on other cabs.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Do you mean buzz when you are playing? Or do you mean hiss? As in even when you are not playing? Most horns hiss a bit as they reproduce line noise really well. The more you turn them up, the more they hiss. This is common.

But if you are saying that it buzzes when you play, then the horn is probably fried. Although, I have never heard of a horn "buzzing" audibly while playing at rehearsal or performance volumes. They usually just stop working. But I guess it is possible.

Chas

3. Touchdownboy

Touchdownboy

Dec 29, 2001
    Australia
    I think its just the common things horns do actually, it doesnt buzz audibly while playing, just a fairly light buzz that gets louder as you turn the horn up. It hardly loud enough to be heard while playing though. It could be described as a hiss I suppose, but it has a bit more of a buzz sound to it.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is probably a bad cable or some other shielding issue in your signal chain. Turning up the horn is just making it more obvious.

Certain line noises sound like a buzz.

Chas