1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp/cab advice needed: 8 vs. 4 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RudeMood, Apr 10, 2006.

1. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I would like some more volume & headroom from my current set-up: an Ampeg B2R and one Aggie GS112.

The Ampeg will push 350 watts at 4ohms, but only 200 watts at 8ohms - my lone GS112 is 8ohms. I know adding another 8ohm cab would create a 4ohm load which should bump the Ampeg up to 350 watts.

Forgive my limited knowledge on this, but I am looking for creative ideas in creating a 4ohm load cheaply so my Ampeg will then push 350 watts. Any alternative to adding another cab? Maybe adding a small, inexpensive practice amp to the rig for the sole purpose of creating an 4ohm load. Are any of these types of amps 8ohms...? I'd like to keep my GS112 since it's portable, but don't want to spend the $$$ to get another nice cab to go with it. Help!

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It doesn't work that way.... the quickest, easiest way to get more volume is to add another GS112.... they come up on the used market quite often for a good price. That would give you more speakers to push more air (the key thing to getting louder) and will provide the added bonus of some additional wattage that will be shared equally by both speakers.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I totally agree with Kjung. Adding a 2nd cab is the way to go. As for the wattage to ohms explenation, this is a very easy but not complete comprehension : Ohms are your resistance to your load (Watts), so higher ohms resist more the full output of the amb, but be very carefull, there is a minimum resistance to you amp (Minimum ohms), Do not go under it.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    No matter how you do it, you're gonna need a new cab. Either one 4ohm cab, should as an aggie 212, Avatar and carvin also make low cost 4ohm cabs. The easiest way is to just buy another GS112. I use mine my GS112 with a Trace elliot 250smx and previously with the AG500. Great little cabs with 200-500 watts of power ( I won't even tell you about them with the 359).

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Without a second speaker, the jump from 200W to 350W would not offer a significant increase in volume anyway.

A second cabinet to change to a 210 or 410 4-ohm cabinet is the best bet to get louder.

6. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    OK guys, I have an SWR 350 pushing 240 watts into an 8 ohm Bag End S-15. I'm considering adding 4 ohm 2-12 Bag End cab to the load. Do-able? Unwise? kablooey? The amp is rated @ 350 w@ 4 ohms and 450w @ 2 ohms but it is not reccommended to go below 4.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Why is it rated if it is not recommended to operate at that load? :confused:

That being said, it depends on how hard you push it. It may be fine. It may pop.

8. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Good info guys - thanks. I'll likely be coughing up some cash for another Aggie cab. My wife may leave me after I spend more money but at least I'll have a nice rig...

Pickebass suggested one 4ohm Aggie 212 - How about an Aggie 210? Anyone have experience with them as the only cab in a rig? The Agular specs list them as a 4 or 8ohm.