Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp/Cab.....Best slap sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adrian480, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Hi bass buddies around the world

I am ready to buy a amplifier an a cabinet (4x10”)

I am a slap player, and a huge fan of the Marcus

Miller sound

What can you recommend?

My bass is of cause Fender jazz 1978

Thanks.......

2. SansAmp RBI w/ QSC power amp, into an Ampeg 410HLF. All the tonal flexibility, frequency response, and power you could want.

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Sansamp would be ok I suppose but I definitely wouldn't recommend the HLF for the sound you're after. The HLF is a mushy cab compared to SWR and EBS cabs (which Marcus used in the past and uses now respectively).

IMO, you'd be better off going with an SWR rig to start or EBS if you've got the $$$.

4. Not amp related but I read somewhere around here that Miller's bass has a Sadowsky preamp.

5. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Just buy one of those Sadowsky outboard preamp and try it out with your jazz..you should get the "Marcus" sounds. I had an Aguilar 2 band pre installed in a 77' jazz before...I got the "Marcus" slap tone too....but you'll have to cut a hole at the back of your bass...big mistake there!

6. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    You should have gotten the DB 924! It's the 2-band OBP-1 in a little outboard box! I heard (from a guy at Marcus's label) that Marcus uses that with some of his vintage basses.

7. I am aware of Mr. Miller’s onboard pre-amp, but I am so Lucy that my stock Fender bass have the right funky sound, compare to other Fender basses from the same area.
    I just cut off 800hz and boost bass and treble on the amp, and then magic happens my bass sound like Miller.

What about Dave Eden, I have read in a magazine that the D4x10 XLT is the best sounding cab ever??

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Probably your best bet would be to look at EBS. They are the company that Marcus Miller uses. Eden cabs are very colored in the low mids, and IMO won't give you the clarity of the EBS. Eden cabs are great just probably not the best for your application.

9. That's all dependent on what you're going for. There are some that think Glockenklang or Bergantino are way better than the Eden, and some...like me...that think the Mesa 4x10 is the best for what I want. For what you're going for (Marcus) the Eden might just be 'too good sounding', but I'm not sure. I like the porting on the Edens, but compared to an older SWR Goliath 2, the SWR beats it, IMO.

If you want to really FEEL the bass, look into GenzBenz with the huge ports on the front, which is a design Ampeg 'borrowed' for their HLF.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, it was a Bartolini preamp installed by Roger Sadowsky, according to this quote from Marcus' website:

I have a pre-amp installed in my Jazz - a Bartollini installed by Roger Sadowsky. Roger also installed a Bad-ass bridge. The rest of the bass is stock.

http://www.marcusmiller.com/faq.html?category=2&faqid=22&color=2

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Also from his website...

http://www.marcusmiller.com/faq.html?category=2&faqid=28&color=8